SSD - UEFI Windows Boot Manager - Windows 10

unlisted

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
I just installed a new SSD with Windows 10 and noticed the Boot Priority is "UEFI Windows Boot Manager" instead of the option of booting straight from the SSD itself.

Before I start loading everything up from my backup I wanted to make sure Windows is installed properly for optimal performance.

The SSD does show up in the BIOS under SATA 1 just not in the boot priority list.

I did install Windows with only the new SSD attached with the exception of the 32GB mSata drive on the motherboard.

I have included a link to a screenshot of my disk management

http://imgur.com/ICvUWlX

I guess I am wanting to know if I have installed Windows correctly on the new SSD. Is this the one and only way it should be booting up or is there something I missed in the setup that would allow me in the BIOS to boot from the SSD instead of through the "UEFI Windows Boot Manager".

Thanks again in advance.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, unlisted!

I'd recommend you to make sure you have only the SSD connected to the motherboard at the time of the installation of Windows. You risk encountering an OS confusion if you have more than 1 SATA device connected, this basically scatters the system files across all the hooked drives. Either way, your secondary HDD or your backup drive won't be needed until after the installation is completed.

Afterwards, make sure that the SATA mode for the SSD is set to AHCI, rather than IDE.
When you have ensured that all these things are set properly, attempt to install Windows on the SSD again.
You can also refer to some Windows Install & Optimization guides for SSDs & HDDs, if you need more...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, unlisted!

I'd recommend you to make sure you have only the SSD connected to the motherboard at the time of the installation of Windows. You risk encountering an OS confusion if you have more than 1 SATA device connected, this basically scatters the system files across all the hooked drives. Either way, your secondary HDD or your backup drive won't be needed until after the installation is completed.

Afterwards, make sure that the SATA mode for the SSD is set to AHCI, rather than IDE.
When you have ensured that all these things are set properly, attempt to install Windows on the SSD again.
You can also refer to some Windows Install & Optimization guides for SSDs & HDDs, if you need more specific step-by-step instructions.

Good luck! Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

unlisted

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks SuperSoph!

I did install Windows with only the new SSD attached with the exception of the 32GB mSata drive on the motherboard.

I have included a link to a screenshot of my disk management

http://imgur.com/ICvUWlX

I guess I am wanting to know if I have installed Windows correctly on the new SSD. Is this the one and only way it should be booting up or is there something I missed in the setup that would allow me in the BIOS to boot from the SSD instead of through the "UEFI Windows Boot Manager".

Thanks again in advance.

unlisted

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Thanks again for your help. I just don't want to run into any problems in the future if I can avoid it. My old HDD just seemingly crashed and I got a "no boot device available" error. I took this opportunity to go the SSD route for the system and application drive and will install a HDD for additional file storage.

The "UEFI Windows Boot Manager" was new to me and wanted to make sure I have a proper setup before going through with the installation of all of my applications and files from my backup drive. I am used to seeing the actual drive as an option in the boot priority but I suppose the motherboard and SSD have dictated this setup instead.

There is not a lot of info out there that explains the the purpose, reasoning, or any differences for this setup so just trying to be proactive and avoid any headaches in the future. :)

smordarski

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
In the BIOS there is a section named BOOT. The boot order will be listed there.