Question SSD unable to be initialised....driving me loopy ! HELP (please) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2020
Trying to install a Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO. on Windows 10.

Device Manager sees it and reports no problem however it doesn't show up in File Manager.
Disk Management sees it but reports that it needs to be initialised. Sadly when attempting to initialise it you are presented with an error "The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error "

Tried new cable, new sata port, forcing driver update, different computer !

Always just won't initialise with that same error "The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error "

Have tried using Disk Management and Dos' DISKPART. Neither will do the job but they both see the drive. Just can't initialise it (and as such can't format etc...)

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Aug 9, 2020
can select the disk in DISKPART and clean it but creating a partition doesn't work and neither does trying to convert it to either option (gpt or mbr)
:-(

create partition primary

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Iggyau

Reputable
May 11, 2020
If windows disk manager can see the SSD, try using the free version of Easeus Partition Manager. I find it can do things the windows disk manager cannot like deleting certain partitions. You should be able to at least make a logical partition on the SSD.

Reactions: HelpMeFFS
Odd that it insists I create a bootable USB stick first, I don't want to erase my boot drive !
Will try shortly but expect a fail :-(
You create bootable USB flash drive with samsung secure erase software.
Boot your pc from USB and follow instructions on screen.
You basically choose which samsung ssd to erase and then confirm, that you're sure about doing this.

You can also use Parted Magic USB flash drive to perform secure erase.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelpMeFFS
Aug 9, 2020
Have just tried Samsung Magician Secure Erase, booting from the usb flash drive it creates into a basic linux to format the disk, but when formatting attempts to begin I get an error and it does not proceed :-(

The utility can see the SSD fine.

The error is "Error 25 Selected drive is password protected. Unlock the password and try again"

:-(

Probably a generic error for if it can't access the drive.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions. The saga continues !

Turns out Parted Magic is $11 - fine if it works but I don't know if it will !

Easus Partition Manager (EPM) is a bit sneaky. It lets you go through a bunch of analysis with no mention of a cost and then if you want to make an actual change - whoops ! $59 please :-(
Again, not the end of the world if it works but I don't know if it will and this is a fair way towards the cost of another SSD !!!!
EPM does have a disk partitioning utility which it seems to run for free ! But I have set it off on the SSD (which it sees fine) and it is just stuck at 1% and its allegedly a 'Quick Scan' so I presume this means EPM can not really access the drive so it would be $59 wasted :-(

Tearing hair out.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020
If you decide to get software from dubious sites, be prepared for the consequences. This is not recommended.

Yeah, I don't really want a root kit or virus plonked on my machine for the sake of $11. If they took the money but said "If it can't solve your problem uninstall it and we'll give you a refund" I'd go for it !!!!

Aug 9, 2020
EaseUs Partition Master (the free part) has a surface test and I left it running on the drive overnight (for comparison it surface tests the 64GB Samsung 830 I have in just a couple of minutes !) and after running for over 12hours had only got to 0.63% of the disk.........so something ain't right there !!

I cancelled the surface test at that point and took a photo of where it had got to. A LOT of bad sectors it seems. However the problem seems a larger one than that given that the surface test couldn't even get further than 0.63% through looking at the disk.
See Phto:
https://ibb.co/MBK3jH3

Given that the EaseUs software couldn't get far in the surface test of this drive I am dubious that it would be able to solve this specific problem

Status
Not open for further replies.