Question SSD unable to be initialised....driving me loopy ! HELP (please) !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2020
Trying to install a Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO. on Windows 10.

Device Manager sees it and reports no problem however it doesn't show up in File Manager.
Disk Management sees it but reports that it needs to be initialised. Sadly when attempting to initialise it you are presented with an error "The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error "

Tried new cable, new sata port, forcing driver update, different computer !

Always just won't initialise with that same error "The request could not be completed because of an I/O device error "

Have tried using Disk Management and Dos' DISKPART. Neither will do the job but they both see the drive. Just can't initialise it (and as such can't format etc...)

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Aug 9, 2020
But yeah, I think the conclusion I'm coming to is that I've done a lot and all its done is prove that the SSD itself is just faulty :-(

Tried to install windows on it and the windows installer couldn't deal with it despite seeing that it existed. Its a kaput SSD :-(

DOA :-(

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020
Yeah, have to conclude that all I've done has really only lead me to the sad conclusion that the SDD is faulty.
DOA :-(

Tried to even install Windows on it from their install boot dvd but that also, whilst being able to see the disk, couldn't install on it. Hardly a surprise but worth a go !

The disk in kaput. DOA :-(

Iggyau

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Well that utility is doing something as when I run it on my existing 64GB SSD it seems to be doing some sort of test.

after a few seconds:
https://ibb.co/rFCBrXf

I've not tried doing a surface test on an SSD with the Free Easeus Partition Manager. But for deleting partitions it's been good. Also don't try and to multiple things at a time with Partition Manager as it may want you to pay money. Do things one at a time. EG don't delete a partition and format at the same time. Delete the partition first one at a time. Then you can choose to create a big partition before trying to reinstall Windows 10.

But given the problems you have had so far there is a remote possibility the SSD is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.