Question SSD underperforming and it's making me mad.

Jun 22, 2020
Alright, a few months ago, I got a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB. All was going well until recently, when it started being a bit slower than usual, I ran a test and saw that the read speed was a lot slower (supposed to be 530 ish, only 391.). I tried running Samsung's error checker and chkdsk, none said there were any errors. I also trimmed the SSD, there is around 130GB free of 250. Any possible solution before I send it to Samsung for repairs?

Jun 22, 2020
I tried crystaldiskmark and Samsung's benchmark utility. It used to work fine and show the correct speeds just 10 ish days ago according to my benchmark history. I ran both tests with absolutely nothing open, right after a restart.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I tried crystaldiskmark and Samsung's benchmark utility. It used to work fine and show the correct speeds just 10 ish days ago according to my benchmark history. I ran both tests with absolutely nothing open, right after a restart.
there was a recent update from windows that messed up a lot of stuff. check your task manager and see if any background processes are eating up memory and or drive. i had that issue and had to delete a few things

Jun 22, 2020
Will a factory reset fix it? I'm looking into doing that however there's one issue; my laptop screen is busted, I have it plugged into a tv via hdmi, will I be able to see it on the TV while it's resetting? Like will it have the drivers all ready while I'm in OOBE?

Ferimer

Distinguished
Will a factory reset fix it? I'm looking into doing that however there's one issue; my laptop screen is busted, I have it plugged into a tv via hdmi, will I be able to see it on the TV while it's resetting? Like will it have the drivers all ready while I'm in OOBE?
Not sure about that, just check and see if there is any thing using up mass amounts of memory and or disk. just go into task manager and check

Jun 22, 2020
Could be that it needs a repair. Loading a SSD with more and more files when its only 250Gb will see a downgrade in performance. Ive been told that a 250GB should ONLY be used for Boot Drive, nothing else. strictly keep it for the Boot drive and do not instal any other files on it
It's saying the drive health is good and 2.5tb has been written to it somehow. I just did another test and it says the read speed is 500 now, which is close enough, doing another test to confirm.

USAFRet

Titan
A bit better than it originally got but still not what I paid for
For the C drive, with the OS, that is not far off.

This is my 500GB 860 850 EVO C drive.
pzuYags.png

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020
That's a 850 Evo drive, I have the 860. Nonetheless it has 5 years of warranty so I'm not in a rush to send it back for repairs cause I for sure didn't write 2.2tb to that and Samsung magician says I did.