SSD Upgrade Question

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Hello, i am planing on buying a SSD. I have a question about it. After i install SSD into my PC do i need to re-install windows so my SSD works? Because i don't need Windows in SSD, i just want games in it. Will my SSD work even if i don't reinstall windows?

Solution
You don't have to re-install your system from scratch when you move it to a new HDD or SSD, all you have to do is to use either SSD manufacturer provided migration tool ( as in the case of samsung SSDs: Samsung migration tool downloadable from their website) or use a generic yet powerful cloning software (under windows environment after you install it on your older drive) like Macrium reflect and you' ll be set in less than 20 minutes of time, your windows license will be valid as well as system HDD swapping is not considered "by Mr. windows" as a significant hardware change.

If not budget constrained go for a good quality SSD of 500 GB (Crucial MX500) or for samsung 860 EVO,
- if possible before you start this upgrade make a full...

R0GG

Distinguished
To get full benefit if your SSD speed, your best route would be to clone your current HDD onto your SSD using tools available on the SSD manufacturer website to download ( like for Samsung SSD : Samsung cloning utility and migration software), or using a software like Macrium reflect:
Choose a size of SSD that would allow room for your OS (cloned) and games install (500 GB at least), attach SSD into your system, boot your system of HDD as usual, install cloning utility of your choice, perform cloning and follow instructions, shutdown system, remove older HDD from tower, boot system, complete games install if needed.
This way your system and your games would load much faster and you'll enjoy more snappiness of your system in your everyday computer tasks.

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017

So i don't need to re-install windows right? :) And when i boot up my pc it will ask to format ssd?

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017

But i don't want to remove my older hdd i just want to have more space and have my games run faster. Do i really have to clone stuff? I'm afraid that i can do something wrong. :)

R0GG

Distinguished
You can have your older HDD as storage drive after cloning it to SSD and formatting it empty for files and even for loading games when you run out of space on your newer SSD if of lower capacity given that your older HDD is a 7200 RPM drive.

Go with what makes you comfortable, but it doesn't make much sense to have games installed/loading of an SSD while your system OS is still crippled by an HDD IMHO.

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017

I just don't want to re-install windows that is it. Just not good at it :)

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017

I want to buy a 240Gb SSD. I still don't know what brand.

My mobo is: MSI B350 PRO-VD Plus
Case : Deepcool Tesseract

Since it was not me that did cable management i was looking for Sata cable but i did not find it.

USAFRet

Titan

Samsung 860 EVO
Crucial MX500
Both in 2.5" format.

When you order it, also order a couple of extra SATA data cables.

R0GG

Distinguished
You don't have to re-install your system from scratch when you move it to a new HDD or SSD, all you have to do is to use either SSD manufacturer provided migration tool ( as in the case of samsung SSDs: Samsung migration tool downloadable from their website) or use a generic yet powerful cloning software (under windows environment after you install it on your older drive) like Macrium reflect and you' ll be set in less than 20 minutes of time, your windows license will be valid as well as system HDD swapping is not considered "by Mr. windows" as a significant hardware change.

If not budget constrained go for a good quality SSD of 500 GB (Crucial MX500) or for samsung 860 EVO,
- if possible before you start this upgrade make a full (system and files) back up image of your system using built in windows back up tool or Macrium reflect (that you'll be using for cloning as well)
- install SSD in tower,
- boot your system, install macrium reflect home (free),
- clone your running system onto your new SSD (tutorials available online and on youtube) using Macrium reflect.
- After cloning process is finished, shutdown your system.
- remove older HDD from tower ( or just disconnect it's Sata power and data plugs
- boot your system: if successfull it'll be obviously running of your new SSD.
- When reconnecting your older drive make sure you know which is which before erasing it before booting your system as both drives being clones will be carrying same name (under windows), same system and both are bootable: better practice for the average user is to rename/erase older drive through usb/ after connecting it while system is already running to avoid altering the wrong drive, or best and more " classy" is to ensure in the Bios that the SSD is selected as the only boot device, then if in doubt double check device manager and in windows computer management> storage: where you'll be able to see each drive model, drive letter and name under windows (name that you could change [right click on drive under windows explorer and rename it] then proceed to erasing/editing your older drive to turn it into a storage). You could also -in case of an older small capacity HDD- keep it on the side as ready-to-use back up clone in case your system encures major issues in the future.

__How to clone your PC hard drive using Macrium Reflect >>
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect
__How to Clone Windows With Macrium Reflect Free>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0PyZIqecII

Solution