Question SSD upgrade SK Hynix P31 gold Vs Samsung 970 Evo plus vs Samsung 980 what to choose?

Jul 27, 2021
Hi guys! I was planning on buying an SSD upgrade for my laptop as it came with 512 GB SSD only and most games filled up the storage pretty easily. I checked on CPU Z and the on board SSD is WD green it seems which is an average to low speed model. I was planning to buy samsung evo 980 because it was cheaper in my place at 477 SAR. But then i read reviews like it has no DRAM and stuff which confused me if I should buy one with DRAM for more longevity. Now i am confused between SK Hynix P31 gold and Samsung 970 evo plus both cost around the same here (606 and 650 SAR respectively). please suggest me if i should go for more expensive ones or just buy the 980 evo. ? I am jus t a normal average game and professional employee so not gonna be video rendering or stuff.

Thanks in advance for reading the whole question and for your suggestions. :)

Hi guys! I was planning on buying an SSD upgrade for my laptop as it came with 512 GB SSD only and most games filled up the storage pretty easily. I checked on CPU Z and the on board SSD is WD green it seems which is an average to low speed model. I was planning to buy samsung evo 980 because it was cheaper in my place at 477 SAR. But then i read reviews like it has no DRAM and stuff which confused me if I should buy one with DRAM for more longevity. Now i am confused between SK Hynix P31 gold and Samsung 970 evo plus both cost around the same here (606 and 650 SAR respectively). please suggest me if i should go for more expensive ones or just buy the 980 evo. ? I am jus t a normal average game and professional employee so not gonna be video rendering or stuff.

From personal experience, Samsung 970 evo plus. Cache is important for OS, much less for data only.
980 i somewhat of a cheat as number suggests better performance but it's true only for 980 PRO, Evo is quite a dud.

Jul 27, 2021
Oh so 980 uses the cache of system for managing its memory. well my CPU is intel so it doesn't have loads of cache like some AMD counterparts. So I think i should go for one of 970 EVO plus and SK hynix P31 Gold?

For most users the no dram is not going to make a diff.
If your moving very large chunks of data, most users are not, in and out of the ssd then shop for dram.