[SOLVED] SSD Upgrade to NVME from 850 Evo?

paul5000

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
I have a 250gb Samsung 850 Evo for Windows and programs.

It's good, but the numbers I see for NVME drives have me drooling.

But if I upgrade, will I actually notice much of a difference in everyday use?

The program where performance is most important for me is Adobe Lightroom - editing large batches of big images.

But I assume my other components are more important for that.

I have:
ASRock B450m Pro4
Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram
GTX 1060 6gb

Thanks!
Paul

Solution
The performance difference is application specific and I don't have any experience with Lightroom. If the saved files are heavily compressed, then while they load faster, you maybe waiting on the decompression. My first though was if you find a deal, then sure, otherwise it can wait.

Then I was thinking some more. I don't know how you use the 250GB SSD, but if it is your boot drive or only drive, and you are working with these big files, then it might be getting full. The more full an SSD is, the slower it goes. I don't like to go over 75%. It might be worth adding a 500GB or 1TB NVMe (depends on MB support) as a data drive and using the 250GB SSD as a boot/main drive.
The performance difference is application specific and I don't have any experience with Lightroom. If the saved files are heavily compressed, then while they load faster, you maybe waiting on the decompression. My first though was if you find a deal, then sure, otherwise it can wait.

Then I was thinking some more. I don't know how you use the 250GB SSD, but if it is your boot drive or only drive, and you are working with these big files, then it might be getting full. The more full an SSD is, the slower it goes. I don't like to go over 75%. It might be worth adding a 500GB or 1TB NVMe (depends on MB support) as a data drive and using the 250GB SSD as a boot/main drive.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

paul5000

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I do have 3TB HDD for storage.
Yes, I do have to watch the capacity on the SSD, trying to keep at least 50GB free.

I realized that I can test storage performance in Lightroom easily by working on some photos saved to HDD vs ones saved to SSD. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference! I think CPU is the main thing for Lightroom.

So I think you're right - if I see a deal I can't resist or need more capacity then OK but otherwise not worth it. Better to save for a better Ryzen CPU.

Reactions: anotherdrew

USAFRet

Titan
Be very careful about drooling over that large advertised NVMe number you see.
Specifically for lightroom...the rest of your system is far more important.

I use LR almost daily.
Recently added an Intel 660p to my drive lineup as a secondary drive (see list below).
In theory, the sequential speed of the 660p is 3x that of a typical SATA III SSD.
( I added it because it was a 1TB drive for $88)

In actual test, I found zero difference in writing files to the 660p vs various SATA III drives.
5 RAW files directly out of my Fuji X-T1, multiple edits/changes in LR.
Writing out to the Intel 660p, a Samsung 860 EVO, and a Samsung 840 EVO.

Took exactly the same amount of time for each drive.

paul5000

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
Be very careful about drooling over that large advertised NVMe number you see.
Specifically for lightroom...the rest of your system is far more important.

I use LR almost daily.
Recently added an Intel 660p to my drive lineup as a secondary drive (see list below).
In theory, the sequential speed of the 660p is 3x that of a typical SATA III SSD.
( I added it because it was a 1TB drive for $88)

In actual test, I found zero difference in writing files to the 660p vs various SATA III drives.
5 RAW files directly out of my Fuji X-T1, multiple edits/changes in LR.
Writing out to the Intel 660p, a Samsung 860 EVO, and a Samsung 840 EVO.

Took exactly the same amount of time for each drive.
Thanks for that. Yeah, that kinda confirms what I figured.

popatim

Titan
You probably should set your XMP up in your bios.
I've used that same board and had trouble hitting 3200 with several different rams. I usually st it for just under 3000 and leave it therenwhen 3200 doesn't work well. Test the heck out of it before you say its good.