SSD upgrade unable as NTFS partition damaged but system still boots

AVIT_Richard

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Hi
(please see picture)
NTFS.jpg

Can anyone help me out with this one, it has got me good and proper!
I am trying to upgrade to a SSD drive.
The system runs fine like nothing wrong, a bit slow on the old mechanical drive but thats it.

All programs tell me I have a error on the partition and will not clone the drive.

I have run chkdsk countless number of times with no errors, I have tried using parted magic, clone rx, acronis true Image and had no luck with any of them.

I can see there must be a issue as free space is showing at 155% (i wish) and also listed as 'other' file system. when I can see its NTFS from windows disk management.

1. When you state "All programs..." indicate some sort of partition error, what "programs" are you referring to? Disk-cloning programs? If so, are the ones you've listed so far are the only ones you've used?

2. Your present 256 GB HDD (I'm assuming it's a HDD) boot drive has an actual disk-space capacity of some 232+ GB, so since it contains about 121 GB of data or so the "free space", i.e., disk-space that can be utilized for add'l data, is about 155% I guess. (I haven't made an actual computation!)

3. Have you performed the "usual" housekeeping re your boot drive, e.g., Disk Cleanup, checking for malware, deleting unnecesarry startup programs, etc.? Also use the sfc /scannow command to determine if any problems with the integrity of your Win 10 system files. (I assume you're running Win 10).

4. We're assuming the SSD you're planning to use as the destination drive for the cloned contents of the present boot drive has sufficient disk-space capacity to contain the total data contents of the source drive. So verify this.

5. If all the above checks out I can provide a suggestion for you as to a disk-cloning program you may want to try and provide basic instructions re its use.

AVIT_Richard

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Hi

1. The listed ones are the only ones I have tried.

2. The current HDD is Seagate 250GB, used space is about 60GB but Windows 10 Pro has no idea what is going on with the space, see pictures below.

3. I have done a disk clean up using ccleaner, and the build in windows cleaner. I have run a full spyware check using spybot, and a full virus scan using avast. My start up list is what I have selected and what using msconfig (if I remember correctly it is now done in task manager). I did not think of running system file checker as the name says to me it only checks system files and not partitions, but I have started it off now to see if it helps.

4. the SSD I am going to use is a kingston 240GB V300, I know it is slightly less then my currently drive, so I was going to shrink the partition before cloning to just make sure.

5. I will let you know what comes back when the SFC has finished. I am up for trying any other software that may work.

2017-07-17%20(1).png

2017-07-17%20(2).png

1. Something is really amiss here. You say the HDD is a 250 GB Seagate, however both Disk Management & the Mini Tool partition mgmnt. program indicate it's either a 256 GB HDD or a 250 GB SSD. So are you certain we're not dealing with the SSD?

2. And, of course, there's no possible way the 240 GB Kingston SSD could be in the picture here, right?

3. In any event, have you any clue or suspicion as to what might be causing the discrepancy reflected in DM & the partition mgmnt. program?

AVIT_Richard

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
"Something is really amiss here" Your telling me, that's why I needed to ask for help! It has got me stumped!

1. The hard drive is a seagate ST9250315AS

2. The SSD is not connected at all, I am using a lenovo T510 and when I try to clone the drive I connect it via the esata port.

3. I have no idea what is going on, I may just fit the SSD and reinstall the OS, I'm going to back up my files to the cloud now.

1. Well backing up your data is a wise step...that's for sure.

2. Have you used the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic program to check out the HDD? As I'm sure you know that's a fairly old drive so it should be checked out with a diagnostic program..

3. It may come to a situation that when the dust settles your only viable course is what you've indicated in 3. above.