[SOLVED] SSD upgrade + Windows install help?

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Thinking about adding a newer faster ssd to my system and was hoping my plan will work how it's thought out. I currently have a 1tb that has Windows on it, and a 2tb I use for games and such. What I want to do is get either a 1/2tb and partition say 500gb for Windows, and use the rest for programs. The main reason I want to do this is for future upgrades and having it easier to fresh install with it partitioned.

Is it possible that I can do this and delete Windows off the other drive without harming anything else on it? Is there a simple way to remove just windows?

Solution
Generally speaking, Windows and applications go on the same drive or partition.
Since, in the event of a Windows reinstall, you need to reinstall the applications anyway, there is little reason to have them elsewhere.

So, you could get a 500GB Rocket Plus, and migrate your current 1TB contents onto that. Assuming it fits, of course.
Then, wipe that 1TB clean and use for whatever.

In reality, though...you're not going to see any real speed benefit over what you currently have.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Removing "just windows" is problematic.

What are the specific drives you have?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive?
What motherboard is this?

Thank you for the reply...I'm not home so can't give exact numbers on how much space I got but all drives are fairly empty, but here is the specs...

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb (Windows + programs)
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2tb (Games)
Seagate Barracuda 4tb (Random storage)

As I said I really want to have this setup with windows partitioned for easier future fresh installs. Also wanting to try out one of the newer Rocket 4.0 Plus drives. So again my thought is to get the new drive, setup a windows partition, and use the original windows drive as a D/E and thinking I should get windows off it somehow without losing everything else.

USAFRet

Titan
Since, in the event of a Windows reinstall, you need to reinstall the applications anyway, there is little reason to have them elsewhere.

So, you could get a 500GB Rocket Plus, and migrate your current 1TB contents onto that. Assuming it fits, of course.

In reality, though...you're not going to see any real speed benefit over what you currently have.

Reactions: Nucl3ar
Solution

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

500gb should be more then enough for Windows correct? You think this will work and a better idea if I move everything I want saved from the windows drive to my other m.2, then just reformat and partion?

USAFRet

Titan
500gb should be more then enough for Windows correct? You think this will work and a better idea if I move everything I want saved from the windows drive to my other m.2, then just reformat and partion?
500GB for the OS and application is just fine.
But I personally wouldn't partition what you have.

And we do need to know what is on that current 1TB, to get a better handle on things.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
500GB for the OS and application is just fine.
But I personally wouldn't partition what you have.

And we do need to know what is on that current 1TB, to get a better handle on things.

As I'm not home off the top of my head just windows plus other system related programs like my mobo App Center, drivers, and possibly some other programs. More recently I've been trying to install more to my 2tb game drive.

Just looking for the easiest possible way to setup for future Windows reinstalls if I change hardware, or if there is problems.

USAFRet

Titan
As I'm not home off the top of my head just windows plus other system related programs like my mobo App Center, drivers, and possibly some other programs. More recently I've been trying to install more to my 2tb game drive.

Just looking for the easiest possible way to setup for future Windows reinstalls if I change hardware, or if there is problems.
Right.
Either leave it as is, or get a 500GB of whatever type, and clone the contents of the 1TB into that.

Windows and applications on one drive.
Games and other stuff on other drives.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Right.
Either leave it as is, or get a 500GB of whatever type, and clone the contents of the 1TB into that.

Windows and applications on one drive.
Games and other stuff on other drives.

Really appreciate the advice I kinda answered my own question and made the decision easier...Along with the new 2tb m.2 I got a new mobo and ram. Fresh install here I come with 3-400gb for the os on the new drive.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Really appreciate the advice I kinda answered my own question and made the decision easier...Along with the new 2tb m.2 I got a new mobo and ram. Fresh install here I come with 3-400gb for the os on the new drive.
I don't understand partitioning a drive to have a separate windows partition. They are a lot of things you can install that will still depend on the original windows install to work.

EDIT for that in fact paying high dollar for a 4.0 drive that for your average user will do absolutely 0 for anything really, or enough to make a difference.