[SOLVED] SSD using 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2023
I'm having a little trouble with my SSD.
The problem with the SSD is, that whenever I play a game, (no matter what game i play) it uses 100%. Which causes the pc to freeze and be extremely slow.
I thought maybe it was a virus or something so, I have tried resetting my computer, wiping my disk totally clean, analyzing the disk for any damage and using tronscript (which is a script that looks for viruses) but nothing worked.
I also disabled all Microsoft services.

Here's a picture I took that shows the issue I'm having, keep in mind this happens no matter what game I decide to play.

D

Deleted member 14196

Did you format the ssd? If not you didn’t wipe anything clean. You are most likely infected

Feb 5, 2023
Only for that drive though - why not the other drives as well?

Did you assign the name and/or Drive letter?

Not what I would expect for a system reserved drive if that is, indeed, the purpose of that 579 MB partition.

System Partition?

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/overview-of-disk-management
It could be that I have a english installation of windows 10, however, I use a danish keyboard layout.

I looked at my brothers drives that he had in windows 11 with a danish system and keyboard, and everything looked the same.

I'm not sure if the language differentiation is the issue, considering I do know this language - but Ill attach a screenshot of my brothers and I's disk management: View: https://imgur.com/a/jwSYs7E

Ralston18

Titan
Your disks/drives parameters/specs are all in English except for that "D:" drive.

Your brother's disks/drives parameters/specs are all in Danish.

Also note that there is no corresponding "D: drive" on your brother's system. Disk 1 being C: (boot) and Disk 0: (Data) being a 930,91 GB partition on his computer.

Did you assign the D: drive designation to the partition on your system. Or use some application or utility to do do? Maybe even via the Registry?

Are you able to unassign the "Drive D:" to that partition on Drive 1 (as designated on your computer)?

If not, then my thought is that your Disk 1 (D: and E: partitions) needs to be completely reformated.

[Note: as always be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of your build. Verify that the data is recoverable and readable. Your Disk 1 does not appear to contain any data. However, if there is data there, or supposed to be anyway, then the drive specs are not correct. I.e., E: as shown being 100% free.]

Before doing so, take additional screenshots of the Disk Management screens on both computers but be sure widen both the Disk Management Window and all column headers to reveal the full contents of each column.

There may be some detail or other bit of information that is relevant but not visible via the current screenshots.

Just to doublecheck before actually doing anything.

Feb 5, 2023
Your disks/drives parameters/specs are all in English except for that "D:" drive.

Your brother's disks/drives parameters/specs are all in Danish.

Also note that there is no corresponding "D: drive" on your brother's system. Disk 1 being C: (boot) and Disk 0: (Data) being a 930,91 GB partition on his computer.

Did you assign the D: drive designation to the partition on your system. Or use some application or utility to do do? Maybe even via the Registry?

Are you able to unassign the "Drive D:" to that partition on Drive 1 (as designated on your computer)?

If not, then my thought is that your Disk 1 (D: and E: partitions) needs to be completely reformated.

[Note: as always be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of your build. Verify that the data is recoverable and readable. Your Disk 1 does not appear to contain any data. However, if there is data there, or supposed to be anyway, then the drive specs are not correct. I.e., E: as shown being 100% free.]

Before doing so, take additional screenshots of the Disk Management screens on both computers but be sure widen both the Disk Management Window and all column headers to reveal the full contents of each column.

There may be some detail or other bit of information that is relevant but not visible via the current screenshots.

Just to doublecheck before actually doing anything.

Me and my brother might have found out what the issue could be. the current drive that im having a problem with (which is also an SSD and is disk 0) is on MBR on my pc, while on my brothers PC it's on GPT. Could that maybe be the reason as to why the SSD is not functioning as it should?
I have also looked at some other videos and youtube and found out that it's recommended to use GPT on an SSD, and I believe that's what I had before but it must've somehow gotten changed along the way (I dont know how tho)

Ralston18

Titan
On your PC Disk 0 is the boot drive C: and D: is a partition on Disk 1 (579 MB).

On your brother's PC Disk 1 is the boot drive C: and D: is a partition on Disk 0 (931.31 GB).

If you ran or attempted to run any 3rd party apps, utilities, or registry edits it is very likely that such attempts may be the reason.

MBR vs. GPT.

FYI:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mbr-vs-gpt/

And you can easily find other similar links.

There are trade-offs as noted in many links.

GPT overall being the likely method.

Having no data on the problem SSD (Disk 1 on your PC, Drives D: and E:) my recommendation is to simply re-initialize the SSD as GPT.

Take a closer look via diskpart

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/ho...pt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

From my computer:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.964

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: - - REDACTED - -

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 1 Online 238 GB 17 MB *
Disk 2 Online 931 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 3 Online 931 GB 1024 KB *

Be absolutely sure that the correct disk is being chosen for conversion.

(All data everywhere should be backed up. Which should always be being done anyway.)

Take a final screen shot of the Disk Management window - fully expanded to see everything. The screenshot can be used for before and after comparisons if necessary.

The conversion process is straightforward. Read to be sure that you understand the what's and why's.

Make a summary list of the necessary commands that you can follow step by step while doing the conversion.

Take your time. Watch carefully. Continually Verify Disk ###.

Feb 5, 2023
The issue has been fixed
How i fixed the issue was by changing the slot where i had put my sata cable in, and so far it seems to have worked.
having the disk on MBR instead of GPT might also have been one of the reasons why the SSD was acting weird, but the issue is solved now. Thank you for your help @Ralston18

AForceGaming

Prominent
Feb 5, 2022
The issue has been fixed
How i fixed the issue was by changing the slot where i had put my sata cable in, and so far it seems to have worked.
having the disk on MBR instead of GPT might also have been one of the reasons why the SSD was acting weird, but the issue is solved now. Thank you for your help @Ralston18
I did this with my SSD and fixes it temporaly then the problem eventually comes back now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.