[SOLVED] SSD v HDD different speed

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Hey there,i want to buy a ssd for my pc but it arleady have a HDD.The new ssd that i want to buy is an M.2 [Solid-State Drive (SSD) Kingston A2000, NVMe, M.2] that has 2GB/s [write and read speed].But my Hdd has only 600mb/s [WD 1TB 7200rpm].What will be the speed that my pc will have in the end?
I want to install my windows on the SSD and the games on my HDD.If i will download/[install] something what speed i would have?The 2gb/s or the 600mb/s ,or somewhere between them?

P.S. : I would do a clean installation and my dw speed is 1gb/s if it matter!

Solution
So in the end i think it is not worth it just for windows.If you want a faster pc u need atleast 1tb on your m.2 to feel the diff.I think i will go back at a normal m.2 with sata3.
1 more question if u dont mind.Does the m.2 sata 3 connect in the same port as the Nvme [PCLe] one?
There are 2 M.2 ports on that.
1 can use an NVMe drive. Samsung 970 EVO , Crucial P1, Intel 660p, for instance.
1 can use a SATA III M.2 drive. Samsung 860.

But, I would not have a system without an SSD, even for "only windows" (which it never is)

If you already have a SATA III SSD, the boost to an NVMe, in a game system, is not that great.

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
What motherboard do you have?

The "speed" of the drive is only one part of the system.
An SSD will be miles faster than your current HDD.
But, anything that still lives on the HDD will run and open at HDD speed.

I have an ASRock AB350M Pro4 V2.0
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M Pro4 R2.0/index.asp
It supports NVMe?
So if i have Pubg in hdd i run to hdd speed,but if i want to download something?at what speed it will run?

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
So in the end i think it is not worth it just for windows.If you want a faster pc u need atleast 1tb on your m.2 to feel the diff.I think i will go back at a normal m.2 with sata3.
1 more question if u dont mind.Does the m.2 sata 3 connect in the same port as the Nvme [PCLe] one?

USAFRet

Titan
There are 2 M.2 ports on that.
1 can use an NVMe drive. Samsung 970 EVO , Crucial P1, Intel 660p, for instance.
1 can use a SATA III M.2 drive. Samsung 860.

But, I would not have a system without an SSD, even for "only windows" (which it never is)

If you already have a SATA III SSD, the boost to an NVMe, in a game system, is not that great.

Solution

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Yep u;re right,now i dont have any ssd's on my pc and my widnows run in Hdd and it's pain in the A$$.I would go for a sata3 m.2 ssd to install windows on it.Ty for helping!