Question SSD vs HDD for External Storage HD...???

Tiger_Bite_Kid

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
My external HD is really old (got it from a old laptop) and my Gsmartcontrol program says it did not past 'mustard'. The health tests show it is about to fail and the hard drive lights up red. So I need to upgrade my external HD as soon as possible since it is literally my 'life line'.

I am mostly a music producer and a light/casual PC gamer. I mainly use a external HD as a means for all my music and music production sample libraries...plus all my personal stuff like photos, videos and personal documents.

I rarely put stuff on to the main OS HD. I like to keep the main OS HD as clean as possible and only put software programs that I need/want for music production and a couple games that I like to play.

Do I need a SSD for external storage or will a traditional spinning HDD do just fine...? Will I see any performance upgrades with a SSD over a HDD inside my music making software/Digital Audio Workstation when reading files straight from the external HD...?

I mean...My external HD right now seems like its just a storage device/'catch all' for all my files. So...the only time I need fast speeds is when transferring 'HUGE' files or 'THOUSANDS' of little files to and from the external HD...of which does not happen a whole lot of anyways. Other than that...I really don't see the potential or need for fast transfer speeds with a SSD when a 7200 HDD could do just fine, plus it is also cheaper to buy than a SSD.

On the plus side...my music making software has a really cool feature that lets me put files I use into 'RAM' for use...so technically...I don't need a fast SSD since the files are being read from RAM instead of straight from the HD.

Thoughts, advice, experiences...???

Last edited:
Whichever you choose, do not rely/trust only a single drive for anything valuable...; better to have two external drives, and, if spinning drives meet your needs, then, there is certainly no need to spend more on SSDs if you don't need the speed.

You might also put anything 'extra special' into cloud storage, such as DropBox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, PDrive, etc....