[SOLVED] SSD vs HDD for storage. And some questions about HDDs bad reviews.

lazostat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
I have already an SSD in which i have installed windows 10 and 2 HDDs that i use to download data and store photos and videos. I want to buy one more Disk but i don't know if it's better to buy SSD or HDD.

I wanted to buy 3TB+ but most HDDs have bad reviews. Some of them come with bad sectors, others with DOA, other die in 2,3 months of usage, and i don't understand why. Do SSD have better endurance over time, than HDD?

The HDD i was thinking to buy was the Toshiba P300 3TB, cause it has 7200rpm, although it has many bad reviews, like Seagate Barracuda. The least bad reviews has the Western Digital Blue, but it has only 5400rpm.

I will use it for torrenting, so i don't know what type of Disk do i need. Also, i guess the non stop torrenting highly affect the endurance of the Disk, right?

Also, is there an option to use the Disk whenever i want and not all the time when the computer is running?

I was thinking also of buying an 1TB SSD, but i my mobo doesn't support M2 slot and i guess its a bad buy to have a 2nd Sata SSD. Maybe when i upgrade my PC, then i should buy an M2 SSD. I wanted the SSD for installing games, cause my 1st SSD is only 256GB and it's already full..

So, what do you think?

Reactions: testsubject2575
Solution
Reviews from where? Amazon/Newegg?
Those are pretty worthless. You see the 100 people who have a bad one. You don't see the 100,000 who had no problem.

No, it is NOT "a bad buy" to have a second SATA SSD. If you look at my parts list below, you'll see I have several in this system.

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
HDDs have longer lifespan than SSDs in terms of read/write cycles, but they are prone to data corruptions due to crashes and they are darn slow. If you are into storing lots of data rather than accessing it quick, then go for HDD. Make sure you buy a new one to avoid buying one with a bad sector.

USAFRet

Titan
Reviews from where? Amazon/Newegg?
Those are pretty worthless. You see the 100 people who have a bad one. You don't see the 100,000 who had no problem.

No, it is NOT "a bad buy" to have a second SATA SSD. If you look at my parts list below, you'll see I have several in this system.

Solution

lazostat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
I deleted many old stuff i didnt want and i have freed many GBs now, so maybe i will buy an SSD to install the games. I want to ask something. Now i use the HDD to download the games and i install them on SSD. The installation will be faster if i download them on the SSD itself? And what 1TB ssd do you suggest? I will have there only games, windows will be on the SSD i have now ( Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256GB ) cause i dont want to format PC yet. So i guess i want a budget SSD. What about Crucial MX500 1TB ?

Last edited: