[SOLVED] Ssd vs hdd gaming

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
So I’m planning to get a storage upgrade but idk what to get. My choices are a 1tb nvme ssd or a 2tb segate hdd. I already have a 120 ssd as my boot drive so my question is. What should I get? I don’t know if I should get the nvme and load my os on there too or just get an hdd for my games and keep my 120gb ssd.

Solution
If you're ok with that 120GB as your OS drive and you don't full it so it doesn't slow down to a crawl then go for a SATA SSD for your games. No need for an NVMe. Your games won't load 10 times faster with one. A SATA SSD is more than enough to load your games at like 1-2 seconds slower than a NVMe.

Go for a 2TB SATA SSD or a 1TB. If the 2TB SATA SSD is the same price as a 1TB NVMe.
If you're ok with that 120GB as your OS drive and you don't full it so it doesn't slow down to a crawl then go for a SATA SSD for your games. No need for an NVMe. Your games won't load 10 times faster with one. A SATA SSD is more than enough to load your games at like 1-2 seconds slower than a NVMe.

Go for a 2TB SATA SSD or a 1TB. If the 2TB SATA SSD is the same price as a 1TB NVMe.

Solution

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019

Will That 2tb sata ssd make a huge performance bump than a 2tb hdd? I use my pc for gaming and homework and never transfer stuff between files

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Update I’ve decided and I’m gonna get a 1tb ssd. I want to get a sata ssd the cheapest one I can find is a team group gx2 for $80 but it is dram less. The cheapest nvme i can find is the crucial p1 for $104. What should I pick?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Avoid dramless. They are rather pointless.
Their performance drops off a cliff and will perform worse than HDDs if they are even moderately full.
I don't see the point; it's just one of those cases of being bitten for being too cheap.
Ok got it ima get the 1tb nvme since it’s only like a $15 dollar difference