SSD vs HDD Power Needs

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i have 2 SSD's and 1 HDD. i have split the SATA ower cable coming out of the power supply twice, to get 3 power cords.

i have had some odd computer behavior, and wondered if i woul;d save a lot of power usage if i used a third SSD instead of the HDD.

btw, i have no graphics card.

thanks.

Solution
Perhaps you should get a better Power Supply Unit, one that has more (mine has 12) SATA connectors, instead of getting another SSD.

Splitting the power like that is not good, but I understand if you need to go from molex to SATA. Try splitting just the SSD, and keep the HDD on it own plug.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
SSDs use substantially less power than an HDD, but keep in mind that if you're looking to save money, it will take you a very long time to justify the cost of the SSD. It will offer far better performance though and yes it uses less power.

Perhaps you should get a better Power Supply Unit, one that has more (mine has 12) SATA connectors, instead of getting another SSD.

Splitting the power like that is not good, but I understand if you need to go from molex to SATA. Try splitting just the SSD, and keep the HDD on it own plug.

Solution