SSD vs M.2 For gaming Use on Asrock AB350 Pro4

xluthfi

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Hi,

Im interest SSD for my existing rig and i plan to take Samsung 859 Evo 250gb.
my rig : Asrock AB350 Pro4, Ryzen 1600, Patriot 4x2gb, 1tb seageat.

give me suggestions, whether to vote SSD form factor or M.2 for my riig ??
or any suggestion for my new ssd?

tq

Solution
Conect you ssd or m.2 at the port M2_2 becouse if u want to do cross fire or use the pciex x1 for a wireless adaptor your m.2 nvme will keep running at 32gb/s

sathvic.p

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
M.2 ssd which is not NVMe will give same performance as a normal ssd.
NVMe SSD on the other hand will give you great performance upgrade.
Check before buying whether the motherboard supports NVMe ssd.
For gaming you should just buy the cheap and has max storage. NVMe is costlier

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
First off, m.2 is a connector type/form factor. Its not a type of SSD flash. Alternatively you've got 2.5" or PCIe connectors (like the Intel 750).

For SSD interfaces you've got SATA or PCIe. The SATA interface maxes at 6GB/s and the PCIe interface depends if its v2 or v3 and how many lanes are allocated to the interface (x2, x4, etc up to x16). Typical versions today are capable of PCIe v3 (around 900MB/s per lane) and x4 lanes, totaling around 3600MB/s of throughput at the motherboard.

NVMe is a protocol, like AHCI or IDE. The beauty of NVMe is its super low latency and the incredible level of IOPS its capable of, which is also where you get your real world app gains.

Your actual SSD flash will utilize MLC or TLC NAND (for 99% of cases these days). Then there's 3d NAND which basically stacks NAND (TLC typically) to provide more capacity in traditional form factors.

Your motherboard has one m.2 connector that supports PCIe (NVMe) SSDs and another m.2 connector that only supports SATA type SSDs.

If you are going to use a SATA SSD (Samsung 850 evo for instance) you could buy it in a 2.5" form factor and connect it to a SATA port on your mobo or you could buy the m.2 version of the 850 evo and connect it to your 2nd m.2 slot on your motherboard (which will disable your SATA3_3 port). Either way that SSD will perform the exact same.

If you wanted to spend a little more $$ you can buy a PCIe NVMe SSD, like the 950 EVO and connect it to your first m.2 slot and it'll be 3-4 times faster than the SATA 850 EVO would be.

Why did you down vote my answer? I know it was a minimal answer, but it wasn't wrong/bad info.

sathvic.p

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Yeah... sorry i tried to undo it but doesnt work. sorry

xluthfi

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

ok, thanks for all responses.
so, basicaly for gaming is Choose a cheap price ssd for get max storage.
in my country, Samsung 850 evo 2.5" and M.2 is around same price , +- $107

thank you for your explanation, very detile.
thanks so much.
but 950 evo m.2 is over budget for me.

rickfred_17

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Conect you ssd or m.2 at the port M2_2 becouse if u want to do cross fire or use the pciex x1 for a wireless adaptor your m.2 nvme will keep running at 32gb/s

Solution