antwanman12

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I'm helping my buddy put together a gaming PC and I was wondering, is the SSD worth the extra expense or should I find 2 7200RPM drives and put them in raid?

Fun Fact: both the motherboard I buy and any drives I buy will be SATAIII enabled.

Thanks in advance

Solution

In terms of gaming you probably won't notice a huge difference except load times. I would recommend however going w/ the SSD. Assuming your friend also browses the internet, checks email, etc. on his computer the SSD will be the best all around investment. There should be a fair amount of new SATA III SSDs coming out soon, but if you're friend can't wait, then there are definitely some that are worth the investment right now.

Here's the only one currently available that...

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

In terms of gaming you probably won't notice a huge difference except load times. I would recommend however going w/ the SSD. Assuming your friend also browses the internet, checks email, etc. on his computer the SSD will be the best all around investment. There should be a fair amount of new SATA III SSDs coming out soon, but if you're friend can't wait, then there are definitely some that are worth the investment right now.

Here's the only one currently available that would make use of the SATA III connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148361&cm_re=crucial_c300-_-20-148-361-_-Product

Solution