[SOLVED] SSD (w/out TRIM) = Garbage Collection + Reducing Free Space Issues

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi

i got a 10-mth-old Crucial MX500 500GB SATA SSD (with TRIM disabled on the SSD end) ........so do i put the PC at log-in screen (after logging off) overnight to activate Garbage Collection or do i pull out the SATA cable as some suggested ?

also, the ever reducing Free Space on the SSD is disturbing..........my old 8-yr-old 320GB HDD still had 220GB of free space after 8 years' usage........my 10-mth-old SSD has 170GB free space left despite deleting some data !!...................what if the free space shrinks to nothing ?

Solution
Free space is space that is not consumed by data.

TRIM and garbage collection is not something you need to manually manage. The drive firmware and Windows does all that automatically.

For drive space...
Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.
If you disabled TRIM, you have to perform the garbage collection manually by using the "Optimize Drives" utility. But I recommend turning TRIM on because any... I don't know, performance benefits you receive by turning it off does not outweigh the benefits TRIM provides.

Also free space shrinking isn't a problem. If the maximum usable space is shrinking, then there's a problem. Otherwise, the OS generates temporary files all the time. You could also have some system files that aren't temporary, like the page file and hibernate file (which is there if you didn't disable Fast Boot), changing about over time.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
If you disabled TRIM, you have to perform the garbage collection manually by using the "Optimize Drives" utility. But I recommend turning TRIM on because any... I don't know, performance benefits you receive by turning it off does not outweigh the benefits TRIM provides.

Also free space shrinking isn't a problem. If the maximum usable space is shrinking, then there's a problem. Otherwise, the OS generates temporary files all the time. You could also have some system files that aren't temporary, like the page file and hibernate file (which is there if you didn't disable Fast Boot), changing about over time.

many thanks for your reply..............

i didn't disable TRIM.........i checked and while Windows 7 is sending TRIM commands......it's somehow disabled on the SSD's end...................

i turned on the pc for 6 hours with the SATA cable unplugged and ''reclaimed'' 9 GB.......but is there a way to do garbage collection without pulling out the SATA cable ?............previously, i put the pc at the log-in screen overnight but wasn't as effective as pulling out SATA cable..........

what's the difference between free space and usable space ??

i'm using Avast (free version) and it says i've 49 GB of Win Download Files (system junk files).......is it a must to delete it ??

USAFRet

Titan

TRIM and garbage collection is not something you need to manually manage. The drive firmware and Windows does all that automatically.

For drive space...

Post a screencap here.

Solution

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016

For drive space...

Post a screencap here.

many thanks indeed..........

yesterday, my pc has finally died after 9 years of heroic service so i'll try what you suggested after i've got a new pc

TRENDING THREADS