[SOLVED] SSD Wear Indicator dropped to 0 after few days of usage

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Hi,

I have Kingston A400 240 GB for few days and SSD Wear Indicator already dropped to 0.

I was using same disk type before and same problem occurred, except it was falling to zero about a month.

Is it a problem? I send the first disk for warranty repair, but I don't have an answer yet.

I'm thinking about buying different brand - what you suggest ?

Screens:

Cs4SYaD.png

0rFMv10.png

Not sure what caused the ~9 years of typical usage in 7.9 days, but,...

Was torrenting involved? Downloading 4k videos 24/7?

Any signs of constant 100% disk usage in task manager during that week?

Whatever you get next, I'd consider flattening your current install and starting over....and check for lots of writes once beyond the obligatory first several days of lots of activity with downloading WIndows, updates, all apps, which can easily run 100-200 GB, depending on your app appetite.

I'm not sure about 100% HDD testing utility result credibility for SSDs. However you certainly have another problem called "Kingston A400". Google have plenty of posts about Kingston SSD dying in alarming rate due to bad controller and memory chips (that is why they are so cheap). Plus they got caught in bait and switch tactics using where first SSD batch was kinda good, but next ones - utter rubbish due to low grade NAND chips used in them. In short - get another drive or at least backup files that matter to you elsewhere.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Not sure what caused the ~9 years of typical usage in 7.9 days, but,...

Was torrenting involved? Downloading 4k videos 24/7?

Any signs of constant 100% disk usage in task manager during that week?

Whatever you get next, I'd consider flattening your current install and starting over....and check for lots of writes once beyond the obligatory first several days of lots of activity with downloading WIndows, updates, all apps, which can easily run 100-200 GB, depending on your app appetite.

Hi,

torrenting was not involved. This is company PC joined to domain. The PC is running 24/7 because of accessibility (I think it is not necessary, but we are used to it).

Disk usage was at normal % all the time I guess — PC was used only for backing up data but only as "middleman" and checking some disk health — basically PC is used to basic IT diagnostics and tests.

For facts someone recently did Kingston A400 testing. Conclusion - slow crap which apparently will die soon.

OP, stop kicking the dead horse and buy normal SSD instead.

Solution