Question SSD Will Only Boot When Other Hard Drive Is Plugged In

Jacko99

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hello i brought a brand new ssd and decided to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on it because my old harddrive was corrupt. And i have just discovered that i can only boot the new ssd when my old hard drive is plugged in, as soon as i unplug it i cant boot my ssd?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
was the old hdd still plugged in when you put the ssd in and installed that fresh windows install?

sounds like it to me. if so, what happened is your system partition is on the hdd and not on the ssd. BIOS looks there first to know where the windows install is that it can boot. so no hdd = no system partition = no windows booting.

a simple check is to look at disk manager and see where that system partition is. please post a screenshot of your disk management screen showing both drives so can check if i am right or not. i think i am most likely right :)

quick fix you can try is to remove the hdd and then run start-up repair on the ssd from the windows install media. often this will put the system partition where it needs to be.

Reactions: mcdoogan