SSD Windows 7 Install: This disk may fail soon

wafthrudnir

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Hi,

I have a problem that others have described here too, although it doesn't fit completely to mine and no solution did work for me. So I may give it another try and hope that anyone can help.

I am trying to get a fresh setup of Windows 7 on an Intenso SATA III 256GB SSD, which currently has Windows 10 and some files on it. The setup manager gives the error message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The disk may fail soon." When trying to format it within the setup manager, it gives the 0x80070057 error message.

The disk is recognised in BIOS (set to AHCI) and can boot its Windows 10. However, this seems to be loading always at the same "position", like Windows froze at a specific time. If I make changes of any kind and reboot, those changes are gone again.

I ran chkdsk, it lists no errors. I can't run chkdsk /F, because with the next reboot it acts, as if I would have never entered it into the console.

I booted Linux Solus from a HDD and tried to format the SSD with GParted. When formatting any of the SSD's partitions, GParted finishes the task succesfully, but after re-initializing the devices, the SSD just looks as before.

I tried to clean and format the SSD with DiskPart in Windows setup console. While creating a partition, DiskPart times out every time.

Does any of you by chance have another idea what to try? Or is the solution quite simple and as expected: the SSD is damaged beyond repair?

Thank you!

wafthrudnir

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
That I did at first when I tried to install it and when trying the Windows-based solutions. I only connected the HDD for using GParted on Linux.

I also tried all SATA ports and four different cables.

Mainboard is an ASUS M4A77TD