SSD with good Garbage Controller

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have windows vista x64 which does not support TRIM. I was wanting to find an SSD with a good garbage controller as a sub for TRIM. Do I still need to install the SSD with the AHCI SATA controller if it has a good GC? Or can I install it with IDE? My mobo does not come with on board AHCI support and I have had a lot of difficult figuring out how to install the AHCI controller.

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02

SSDs with SandForce based controllers have good Garbage Collection.

Look at OCZ Octane or Vertex 3 series drives. If you purchase a Vertex 3 make sure the firmware is at the current version to ensure that there won't be any reliability/compatibility issues.

AHCI mode has nothing to do with GC. An SSD in AHCI mode will always have better performance than an SSD in IDE mode, regardless of what type of GC algorithms it has.

You don't install a AHCI controller, it's a chip that's on the motherboard. You install software drivers for the chip. If your motherboard doesn't have a AHCI controller then your SSD will operate in IDE mode.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I wasn't clear. I understand that the SATA controller has nothing to do with GC and that AHCI software must be installed for the chipset. That's exactly what I'm having problems with. I've posted some threads about this to figure out how to do it.
One source says I can simply install the AHCI software for my chipset and switch my controller to RAID. When I boot in RAID, I won't actually set up an array so my chipset will default to AHCI.
Another source says I need to install the AHCI software during OS install. I choose a custom install and then hit F6 somewhere along the process to install the AHCI SATA controller from a USB stick.
I thought the only perk of AHCI mode for SSD was the TRIM feature. Since I don't have win 7 and can't support TRIM anyway, I thought it wouldn't matter what the controller is.

That is true if your motherboard supports AHCI mode. If your motherboard only supports RAID & IDE then your drive will default to IDE mode if it's not part of an array.

You only need to pre-install drivers when you're having problems with the installation and Windows doesn't see the drive.
Otherwise, let Windows install its default drivers. Once installation is successful you can then install the latest drivers from your motherboard's CD or from the manufacturer's website.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
That is true if your motherboard supports AHCI mode. If your motherboard only supports RAID & IDE then your drive will default to IDE mode if it's not part of an array.

From what I understand it is the chipset that determines whether or not the motherboard supports AHCI. I've read several places that my chipset, Intel ICH9R, does support AHCI; however, the software itself installed at this moment. If I can find this software, how would I do that?

You only need to pre-install drivers when you're having problems with the installation and Windows doesn't see the drive.
Otherwise, let Windows install its default drivers. Once installation is successful you can then install the latest drivers from your motherboard's CD or from the manufacturer's website.

Do you mean the driver's for the harddrive or the AHCI controller?

You enter your motherboard's BIOS (usually by pressing Delete during POST). If you don't see a setting where you can change your SATA controller to AHCI mode then your motherboard doesn't support it.

The AHCI controller.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
:hello: Hey Intel ICH9R south bridge supports AHCI. You don't need to worry about AHCI support. Just install SSD drive change the SATA mode to AHCI mode in the BIOS, and install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

The problem is though that there is no option for AHCI in the bios. There is only RAID and IDE. You aren't the first person I've heard to say that the ICH9R does support AHCI. How do I get AHCI appear or activate it if it is not in the BIOS as an option?

Yes, the chipset can support a feature but the manufacturer does not include it in that particular model due to cost concerns.

It happens a lot with laptops. A chipset will support will support SATA 6Gb/s, but if you swap out the HDD for a SSD it will max out at 3Gb/s speeds.

Sorry, but you can't. The only thing you can do is purchase another 775 Socket motherboard that supports AHCI mode.