SSD with HDD new build

thehunt78

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I just finished building a new HTPC (specs below) and I am now researching how to set it up to propely utilize a SSD and HDD together. This is the first time I have ever tried this and I am very new to computer building and software. I see there are many, many articles on how to do this and I am confused what would be the right way to go for what I'm trying to achive. Like I said this is an HTCP, I will be running Win 7 but using XBMC for my media. My video card came with a free copy of Boarderlands 2 so I'm sure I'll want to play games on it from time to time. I want my OS and i guess my game on my SSD and any movies or large files on my HDD. Could someone please explain the best way to achive this or put a link that you feel shows the best way to do this. This is a clean install with brand new drives. Most articles I'v found have been for upgrades and get confusing. Thank you.

Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V
CPU - i5-3570
MEM - Corsair 2x4GB RAMM
SSD - OCZ 120GB
HDD- WD Black 1T
GPU - MSI GTX 650 TI
PSU - OCZ 600w
TV Tuner - Hauppauge 2250
Optic - LG BD burner
Case - Silverstone GD08

1.) Connect your SSD to port SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2 (see page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports)
2.) Connect your optical drive to one of the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA3G_3 thru SATA3G_6)
3.) Boot into your motherboard's BIOS and set your SATA mode to AHCI (page 3-19)
4.) Set your 1st boot device to your optical drive (page 3-2)
5.) Save your BIOS settings, insert your Windows installation disk into your optical drive and reboot
6.) Install Windows.
7.) After Windows installation is complete shut down and connect your HDD to one of the Intel 3Gb/s ports.
8.) Boot into BIOS and change your 1st boot device to your SSD
9.) Boot into Windows and install your chipset, AHCI, and video card drivers
10.) Reboot into Windows and run WEI, which will automatically disable defrag on your SSD

TRENDING THREADS