Question Ssd with windows is gone. Windows boots from old hdd

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Hello,

My ssd with windows disappeared from bios.

I have a laptop with a 2TB hdd and a 128 GB ssd. Windows was installed on the hdd, so i created a windows media tool on a usb stick, and installed windows on the ssd. Worked perfectly.

Then I wanted to replace my hdd for a 480 GB. I thought i could just switch them since windows is running from the 128GB ssd. Then when I logged in, blue screen of death. Since then, windows only boots from the old hdd that i had to put back. I tried stuff in bios, where both the hdd and the 128 GB were there. I switchted the boot ordr from legacy first to uefi first. I dont know what either means but now the 128 ssd disappeared completely from bios and also from windows explorer (i can still run windows from the hdd) . So now i can only run windows from the hdd which is the only recognised storage. I have no idea how to fix it, couldn't find it on the internet. Is there anybody who can help me?
Thank you,
Joost

Laptop is lenovo legion

Switching to UEFI hide "incompatible" drives. If Windows on SSD was installed in legacy mode then in UEFI drive remain hidden.

Go into BIOS settings and switch back to legacy mode. It should return SSD back. Boot into Windows on SSD. Backup all files that matter elsewhere. Then:
  • Disconnect HDD.
  • Delete partition table on SSD from 3rd party recovery drive with USB boot capability. Hiren's BootCD PE or some Linux LiveCD in help. SSD must remain empty without any partition on it.
  • In BIOS settings switch back to UEFI.
  • Reinstall Windows 10 on SSD.
  • Connect HDD back. If Windows create new drive letters for old boot and recovery partitions on HDD, remove letters in Disk Manager.
Would not hurt to backup files from HDD too and make single partition over all HDD without historical trash from old windows setup.

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Switching to UEFI hide "incompatible" drives. If Windows on SSD was installed in legacy mode then in UEFI drive remain hidden.

Go into BIOS settings and switch back to legacy mode. It should return SSD back. Boot into Windows on SSD. Backup all files that matter elsewhere. Then:
  • Disconnect HDD.
  • Delete partition table on SSD from 3rd party recovery drive with USB boot capability. Hiren's BootCD PE or some Linux LiveCD in help. SSD must remain empty without any partition on it.
  • Connect HDD back. If Windows create new drive letters for old boot and recovery partitions on HDD, remove letters in Disk Manager.
Would not hurt to backup files from HDD too and make single partition over all HDD without historical trash from old windows setup.
Thank you, I installed windows on the new ssd. I will try these thigs now to 3rd party recovery drice

• Disconnect HDD.
The SSD did not turn back in BIOS. I installed windows now on my new 480 GB SSD that replaced the SATA HDD, but my old PCIe SSD is nowhere to be found in BIOS. Does the linux live CD still work, even though BIOS does not see it?

Then something is not right in BIOS setup itself. To make things simpler, take old SSD out, connect it to some another computer, backup personal files from it and then delete partition table. Then you should be able to use it again in this computer.

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Then something is not right in BIOS setup itself. To make things simpler, take old SSD out, connect it to some another computer, backup personal files from it and then delete partition table. Then you should be able to use it again in this computer.
I though about that as well, but I don't have any other computers with M.2 connection... Is there another way? It is now back in bios information page as well, as disk 2.
View: https://imgur.com/a/zx3QzHv

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
The thing is, Windows only boots on my new SSD when I set bios to legacy, but the old SSD (samsung) is only visible in bios when set to UEFI. So I feel like I have to chose and it cannot read both at the same time

Seems a bit simpler then. If old SSD does support UEFI, then new one should work in UEFI mode too. Go into legacy mode and delete anything on NEW SSD including partition table. Then remove M.2 drive, switch to UEFI and install Windows again on new SSD. Then put back old SSD and you should be able to clean it from anything.

Remember to backup any personal files you don't want to lose before disk cleaning.

So - SSD drive (Samsung MZVLW128HEGR is NVME) appears in BIOS, but doesn't appear in windows.
You have missing nvme drivers issue there.

Install nvme drivers. You can download them from samsung site.

This is, how it should look:

nvme.png.d1f21736d9e4e7120130374694dd763c.png

So - SSD drive (Samsung MZVLW128HEGR is NVME) appears in BIOS, but doesn't appear in windows.
You have missing nvme drivers issue there.

Install nvme drivers. You can download them from samsung site.

Good catch. I already forgot that earlier motherboards without native NVMe support required NVMe drivers to function properly ;)

OP, also switch partition table in old SSD to GPT. Old MPR partition table is not recognized in UEFI mode. You can do that from same Hiren's BootCD PE mentioned above (both diskpart or AOMEI Partition Assistant are here).

Convert Disk from MBR to GPT in Windows 10, 8, and 7

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Thank you guys for the help. I reinstalled windows with UEFI on the new SSD. I plucked the samsung back in the laptop, and installed all possible drivers including NVMe driver. Then, in device manger, this driver appeared in the storage controllers. However, it said: device unable to start. In run NVM.exe again, choose repair driver, and then blue screen of death. Now its gone again in device manager:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Pqnw1uD

I think the only thing left to do is Hiren's BootCD PE, trying it now.

JoostSom

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Diskpart, device manager and AOMEI dont display the samsung ssd. I noticed another thing. I have an option in bios called 'OS optimized defaults'. If this is disabled then bios displayes the samsung, otherwise not. Either way, he cannot be found in device manager in hirens bootCD or windows...

I also just realized that I moved all my old pictures from my phone to the SSD, is there any way to safe those?