Question SSD with windows not marked as system

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/a/PPusAaP

So my SSD has the windows that I'm currently running. The other harddrive also has a windows that I want to get rid of but doesn't work.
The SSD partition is not marked as system even though the windows is running from it. (SSD is disk 0)

The windows in the HDD shouldn't be recognized by the windows because I deleted it in MSCONFIG, but doing that only made it disappear from there. It is still there in the HDD.

The SSD and HDD are MBR formatted. HDD contains all my stuff and SSD contains the windows and some files.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So it would have helped to remove all but C drive when installing windows as its added itself to the boot details on D drive.

I would be tempted to copy anything off C drive you want to keep onto another drive that you are putting back in, and the remove both the extra drives, and reinstall windows again.

Unless @SkyNetRising has a better idea.

I don't know how to create the boot files on C drive, when its set up as MBR. The boot partition of MBR drives has to be first, so the files have to be on C for it to work. You can't create a partition before C on the drive, it doesn't let you resize like that.

SSD with windows not marked as system
And what is the question here?

Currently your pc uses bootloader on 1TB drive.
Do you want to move bootloader to 250GB drive and later clean 1TB drive?

If so then execute following from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If there are any errors, then stop immediately. Show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 223GB drive)​
list partition
select partition 1
(select 223GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:
bootsect /nt60 H: /force

Shutdown, boot into BIOS,
change boot priority - make 250GB drive first in boot order (or just disconnect 1TB drive),
see, if you can boot into windows.

System partition should be on SSD now.
After that you can clean 1TB drive and repurpose it for something else.

Last edited:

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
And what is the question here?

Currently your pc uses bootloader on 1TB drive.
Do you want to move bootloader to 250GB drive and later clean 1TB drive?

If so then execute following from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If there are any errors, then stop immediately. Show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 223GB drive)​
list partition
select partition 1
(select 223GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:
bootsect /nt60 H: /force

Shutdown, boot into BIOS,
change boot priority - make 250GB drive first in boot order (or just disconnect 1TB drive),
see, if you can boot into windows.

System partition should be on SSD now.
After that you can clean 1TB drive and repurpose it for something else.

Hold up a bit!

I don't want to clean the 1TB drive.
All I want to do is set the 240 GB to system.
Also, the SSD says "boot" partition, so that implies that the boot files are on the SSD itself.
The HDD boot files are on the HDD, as the SSD was disconnected when i installed windows on the HDD.

Also, the SSD says "boot" partition, so that implies that the boot files are on the SSD itself.
The HDD boot files are on the HDD, as the SSD was disconnected when i installed windows on the HDD.
Those descriptions may be a bit counter-intuitive.
"Boot" means - this partition contains windows (currently loaded).
"System" means - this partition contains current active bootloader (your pc is booting from this drive/partition).

Anyway - proceed with instructions in post #3, to make a proper bootloader on 250GB drive.

Last edited:

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020