SSD won’t boot after extending diskpart

Sep 18, 2018
Windows 10 Upgraded to 500g ssd via cloned my smaller drive. Drive space was showing original 250g total drive size instead of 500g. So I implemented a fix by opening cmd prompt and extending using diskpart. This worked. After a few hours I needed to do a restart cause I updated my graphics card driver. After restart the ssd is no longer booting and I get the "no boot disk" error. Tried resetting from usb and fails.

Solution
Yes, clean install is indeed the way to go.

I use EaseUS for cloning. I have to always make sure I remember to check that it is set to clone the boot sector too. Then I have to remember to expand the cloned partition on the new drive to full size or it ends up with an exact-size copy of the old drive and an un-allocated partition.
Sep 18, 2018

Yes I think that is exactly what happened. I have my original hd reinstalled and have booted successfully. Plan is to perform a secure erase of the new SSD then install a clean version of windows 10 to it. I’ll keep my old HD incase I need anything from it and eventually retire it to random storage. I’m sure there is a way to clone a drive without it being so problematic, but there were issues the entire time. Clean install seems the way to go.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, clean install is indeed the way to go.

I use EaseUS for cloning. I have to always make sure I remember to check that it is set to clone the boot sector too. Then I have to remember to expand the cloned partition on the new drive to full size or it ends up with an exact-size copy of the old drive and an un-allocated partition.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS