SSD wont boot after being cloned

thepeanut123

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
So i recently got an ssd (240gb form Apacer) that was going to be used for windows 10 pro and some games, so i went online and found a guide on how to clone it using AOMEI so now windows and all my files are on my hdd and ssd however when just using my ssd it gets identified by bios and file explorer but will only boot from the hdd how do i fix this issue

Solution

Something went wrong with your cloning procedure.

1. If possible, redo it, thusly:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off...

RealBeast

Titan
Quickest and most reliable way -- do a clean reinstall with only the SSD attached.

Take a look with Disk Management -- most likely the 200MB system reserved partition (the one with no drive letter) is on the HDD. If it actually is on the SSD you *may* be able to fix it by doing a windows repair with the SSD attached and using the installer USB stick.

1. We'll assume you used the AOMEI Backupper program to carry out the disk-cloning operation, right?

2. We'll also assume the disk-space capacity of the SSD destintion drive was large enough to contain the TOTAL DATA CONTENTS of the HDD you cloned. (Next time you pose a query provide details as to the drives involved including their capacity and the data contents of each drive involved.)

3. Presumably the disk-cloning operation went well - no error messages or such - and the SSD appears to be a clone of the source HDD.

4. After you carried out the disk-cloning operation - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - you should have disconnected the source HDD from the system and booted to the OS with ONLY the SSD connected in the system. Did you do this?

5. If not, it's possible as RealBeast has indicated that the System Reserved partition that should have been cloned to the SSD still resides on the source drive - your HDD. Capiche?

6. If that's the case - check Disk Management (or send in a screenshot of DM) and simply repeat the disk-cloning operation following the instructions in 4. above.

USAFRet

Titan

Something went wrong with your cloning procedure.

1. If possible, redo it, thusly:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

2. Or, boot from your OS USB or DVD, and attempt a Repair function. (With only the SSD connected). This "may" fix it.

3. Or...ditch the clone operation, and embrace the pain of a full reinstall.

Solution