Question SSD won't boot at all

disgruntledwombat

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
So I got a new SSD as a gift that's bigger than my old one (512gb Intel 545S vs 250gb Samsung 850 EVO) and can't seem to get it to boot no matter what I try. First, I tried to clone my boot drive over to the bigger one, but it wouldn't let me, citing incompatible sector size. I managed to clone it over anyways but it wouldn't boot, saying no boot device was found.

After that I decided a clean install might be easier so I made a bootable USB drive then connected just it and the new SSD to the pc and booted up. I followed the directions, formatted the drive and installed Windows on the SSD. After it was done I checked that the SSD was at the top of the boot order and tried again. Once again, no boot device found. I've since troubleshooted and can find no cause for the error. I double checked that the USB worked and put windows on another SSD which was able to boot the computer then reinstalled windows on the USB device just to make sure. Still didn't work.

I'm about at my wit's end here. Is it possible the drive is just defective? I doubt this as it was able to store data just fine when another drive was acting as the boot device. Any ideas?