[SOLVED] SSD won't boot, goes straight to BIOS every time

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
So this is what's happened:

I bought a new SSD, installed windows and got everything ready and working, everything was good. Then I used Samsung Magician to secure erase the old drive. After erasing I restarted the PC but it just went straight into the BIOS. And keeps doing it every time, it will not load windows at all. It displays the ASUS motherboard screen "press F2 to enter setup etc", and then the screen goes black for a few second with a blinking curser and then it loads into BIOS.

The drive shows up normally in the BIOS and in the boot menu. I can select it and boot from it but it just goes straight back into the BIOS again.

I've been able to install windows back onto one of the old drives and run disk check but it finds no errors. I can access all the files on it no problem, I can even run programs from it. So I can't find anything actually wrong with the drive, it just refuses to boot.

Is it possible that something required for it to boot was on the other drive?

Please help.

Looking at Disk Management, the drive only has a single partition. There's no recovery partition, no EFI partition. It doesn't say "Boot, Page File Crash Dump etc". Nothing you would expect to see on a system drive...

oaQhfAi.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Windows install probably wrote boot files to the other drive or used its boot loader since it was still connected. And you then you secure erased it.

Just reinstall windows with only the boot drive connected this time.

popatim

Titan
Windows install probably wrote boot files to the other drive or used its boot loader since it was still connected. And you then you secure erased it.

Just reinstall windows with only the boot drive connected this time.

Solution

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Surely there must be some way to add the boot data?

I was hoping to avoid having to reinstall windows, as I've actually spend 3 days setting it all up and installing all my programs and games.

Oct 6, 2019
Did you just copy Windows from your old disk into the new SSD? Should have cloned it instead. Now your system files are missing. What I recommend you do is to clone your old disk into your new SSD. Then set the new SSD as the primary boot disk via the BIOS. You can setup your partitions once it is booting from you new SSD.