Question SSD wont Boot, OS Gone?

ChaoticRambo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hopefully someone will have a clue what just happened to my PC.

I have a custom built PC that I have upgraded components over the years. It has been almost 1.5 yrs. since I last change out any components.

Today, I was playing a game and working on a spreadsheet when the entire computer locked up. I went to do a hard reboot and the computer keeps booting to the BIOS. It does not detect any bootable drives.

My OS is installed on a 7 year old Crucial M550 2.5" 512GB SATA 6Gbps MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT512M550SSD1.

I have attempted to boot with CSM mode enabled and all my other drives removed and it just says there is not bootable drive. I have tried repairing from a USB windows 10 installer and it says there is no operating system.

Out of curiosity I went into the windows 10 installation process up to the point of selecting a hard drive. It shows my SSD but it says there is 476.9 GB total size and 476.9 GB free space.

Did my SSD just completely shoot craps or is something else going on? Anything else I can try before giving up and buying a new SSD? Any chance of recovering my files?

ChaoticRambo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks, I bought a new SSD with the intention of doing a fresh install of windows and starting over. My last full computer backup was only 2 months ago, so not a huge amount of data loss.

I am hoping I might be able to salvage something from the old SSD but I am not holding out hope.