[SOLVED] SSD won't boot unless HDD is plugged

ToxicCharged

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
So, I had windows installed in one of my SSD partitions a long time ago. Today I realized my HDD is failing, and bought a new one. So, until it arrives and I can move my files, I decided to unplug it and use my PC with only my SSD.
The problem is, when i try to boot my PC with only my SSD connected, it gives me the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." screen. Ideally i would like to fix this without having to use my failing HDD, so, any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Right. The System Reserved partition (this is the initial boot) lives on the HDD, Disk 1. Was nothing you did or selected, that just what Windows does when there are two drives connected during the install.

However...your C partition of only 97GB is running out of space. If it were me, I'd just redo the whole thing with a clean install on the 500GB SSD. 1 partition instead of trying to split it like that with C and E.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
FYI- when installing windows make sure the target drive is the ONLY ONE connected.

Windows tried to save some space on the SSD by putting needed boot files on a hidden partition on the HDD. remove the HDD and you remove the ability of windows to boot.
when windows does this the SSD and the HDD become a pair, the SSD dependent on the HDD to boot.

Reactions: mctrader07

USAFRet

Titan
Right. The System Reserved partition (this is the initial boot) lives on the HDD, Disk 1. Was nothing you did or selected, that just what Windows does when there are two drives connected during the install.

However...your C partition of only 97GB is running out of space. If it were me, I'd just redo the whole thing with a clean install on the 500GB SSD. 1 partition instead of trying to split it like that with C and E.

Solution

ToxicCharged

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Ok, is see. So, clean install with my SSD being the only drive connected. Just one more thing, will I have any issues with my HDD after I reinstall windows? Since the System reserved partition is on it, and it won't be connected when i clean install

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, is see. So, clean install with my SSD being the only drive connected. Just one more thing, will I have any issues with my HDD after I reinstall windows? Since the System reserved partition is on it, and it won't be connected when i clean install
Just verify the boot order in the BIOS and have the SSD first, and what is on the HDD is irrelevant.

TRENDING THREADS