[SOLVED] SSD won't boot Windows 10 everytime

Smallank21

Honorable
Apr 15, 2015
Hello, so a while ago I bought the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD (and a new kit of 32GB of ram) and i installed them into my PC, later on reinstalling the windows on said SSD. It worked very well until one day I tried installing Valorant (which apparenty, after looking online, has 'destroyed' pc components because of the anti-cheating software that it uses). While installing Valorant, I noticed that I didn't choose the right drive since I still had the old HDD in my pc, and I closed the setup halfway through and started it again, then after restarting my PC, Windows 10 didn't load, it got stuck at the loading screen with the dots, basically freezing. I looked online and I didn't consider unplugging the USB devices as it said on the internet because I thought it was a worse problem so I reinstalled Windows. Reinstalling Windows this time proved a pain, as my monitor kept blacking out during driver installations so I kept reinstalling it like 5 times in a single night until it finally worked and somehow the windows loading freeze still occured. I tried unplugging USB devices and Windows loaded and I thought that was the fix. Now my PC sometimes loads first time, sometimes after 30 restarts in a row. I have no idea what to do. Please help me.

CPU : Intel Core I5 7600
RAM : Kingston DDR4 32GB
MOBO : MSI B150M PRO-VDH
GPU : GTX 1070
SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Solution
So reinstall the windows again, with just the ssd connected?
Yes...power down....remove all the other drives except the drive you intend to install Windows to.
Then install Windows.
Then make sure it boots and works. (boot it and shut it down a couple times with JUST that one drive installed)
Then power down and add whatever other drives you have.

Smallank21

Honorable
Apr 15, 2015
Yes...power down....remove all the other drives except the drive you intend to install Windows to.
Then install Windows.
Then make sure it boots and works. (boot it and shut it down a couple times with JUST that one drive installed)
Then power down and add whatever other drives you have.
Thank you kindly, I'll try this if we don't find any other solutions T_T

Sep 10, 2021
Hello, so a while ago I bought the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD (and a new kit of 32GB of ram) and i installed them into my PC, later on reinstalling the windows on said SSD. It worked very well until one day I tried installing Valorant (which apparenty, after looking online, has 'destroyed' pc components because of the anti-cheating software that it uses). While installing Valorant, I noticed that I didn't choose the right drive since I still had the old HDD in my pc, and I closed the setup halfway through and started it again, then after restarting my PC, Windows 10 didn't load, it got stuck at the loading screen with the dots, basically freezing. I looked online and I didn't consider unplugging the USB devices as it said on the internet because I thought it was a worse problem so I reinstalled Windows. Reinstalling Windows this time proved a pain, as my monitor kept blacking out during driver installations so I kept reinstalling it like 5 times in a single night until it finally worked and somehow the windows loading freeze still occured. I tried unplugging USB devices and Windows loaded and I thought that was the fix. Now my PC sometimes loads first time, sometimes after 30 restarts in a row. I have no idea what to do. Please help me.

CPU : Intel Core I5 7600
RAM : Kingston DDR4 32GB
MOBO : MSI B150M PRO-VDH
GPU : GTX 1070
SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I had same problem yesterday. Had installed ssd in my PC, I kept Windows on hdd and I installed fresh Windows on new ssd using bootable usb drive. After that, I setted in bios the boot priority to my ssd first, then second the hdd. It didn't work. Then, I setted in bios all boot configurations to UEFI only, keeping same boot priority. After reboot, appears a blue window, asking me what Windows I want to run: on volume x or on volume y? I choosed the right volume and that's it. The Windows on ssd works now fine!

I had same problem yesterday. Had installed ssd in my PC, I kept Windows on hdd and I installed fresh Windows on new ssd using bootable usb drive. After that, I setted in bios the boot priority to my ssd first, then second the hdd. It didn't work. Then, I setted in bios all boot configurations to UEFI only, keeping same boot priority. After reboot, appears a blue window, asking me what Windows I want to run: on volume x or on volume y? I choosed the right volume and that's it. The Windows on ssd works now fine!
Sometimes you can make it work.....sometimes nothing I did worked except clean install with one drive.