[SOLVED] SSD won't boot with HDD connected

May 25, 2020
I installed windows fresh on my new ssd that I am trying to run as my main drive. I did not clone and I did make sure it has a healthy EFI partition. I can't even see it in my bios boot order but it does show in my device configuration. I disabled secure boot and AHCI is selected. This trash bios does not give BBS priority options.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Solution
That doesn't reset the bios. That resets the cmos which overrides some bios default settings. To reset the bios proper, back to factory defaults you'll need to hit F5 usually and choose that option to reset.

On next boot, the bios will have to do a complete retrain, which also means discovery of all hardware installed. If the 4Tb hdd is boot enabled and the 1Tb is boot enabled you should be given the option to choose boot priority. Halt the boot and go back into bios to verify if everything is as should be.

What IS the current boot order as listed in bios?
May 25, 2020
Originally I did have both connected, but when I realized it didn't have an EFI partition, I removed the HDD and did a completely new install. I verified it had the EFI now and it booted beautifully to the 1TB SSD. I connected the HDD and rebooted again, and the bios settings all went back to the HDD being the only drive and only showing the SSD in device config.

I've got a WD 1TB Green SSD and a 4TB WD HDD.
My MB is HP Edoras micro-ATX

Side note: The HDD is failing, and I am completely rebuilding the system tomorrow, but was hoping at at least get my work info off it to clone to the SSD. I may just need to get an external adapter for the HDD to pull the data, but I'd like to not drop more than what I did with the update pieces coming in soon.

May 25, 2020
Have you reset the BIOS? If the command to reset to defaults doesn't help, manually force it by unplugging the PC from power and gently popping off the coin cell battery by depressing it's retention clip. Wait a minute or so before restarting.

I have not, but I will, I was wondering if that would be the case. Thank you. I am going to bed soon and will work more on it tomorrow. As I said I'm rebuilding the entire thing tomorrow, just waiting on new motherboard as final upgrade piece and will start there. Was hoping to have some solid ideas for when I woke to continue the troubleshooting.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't reset the bios. That resets the cmos which overrides some bios default settings. To reset the bios proper, back to factory defaults you'll need to hit F5 usually and choose that option to reset.

On next boot, the bios will have to do a complete retrain, which also means discovery of all hardware installed. If the 4Tb hdd is boot enabled and the 1Tb is boot enabled you should be given the option to choose boot priority. Halt the boot and go back into bios to verify if everything is as should be.

What IS the current boot order as listed in bios?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Side note: The HDD is failing, and I am completely rebuilding the system tomorrow, but was hoping at at least get my work info off it to clone to the SSD. I may just need to get an external adapter for the HDD to pull the data, but I'd like to not drop more than what I did with the update pieces coming in soon.
If the HDD is 'failing', don't do any clone thing from it.