SSD Won't read

RYANpunisher

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
I just took out my ram and put it back in (I thought perhaps one of my sticks were bad and wanted to check but they're fine) once I put my ram back in just like before, my ssd suddenly stop reading. I've tried disconnecting or switching slots with my hdd but still nothing.
My BIOS reads my HDD ONLY. But it won't read my SSD. Did I break it somehow?

Specs:
Kingston 4x2 ddr3
Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
Msi 1060 3gb
6300fx amd CPU
500gb HDD
128gb SSD

Like I said all I did was take out my ram, test the sticks and put them back in. Now my SSD won't read at all but my HDD will. I didn't even touch my SSD until I realized it wasn't working..
side note: I was grounded and touched my case every so often.
If I'm missing any info needed to answer the concern just tell me.

Hey there, Ryan.

What was the initial cause for you to want to try your RAM sticks one by one?
It doesn't sounds like removing a RAM stick could've damaged your SSD, perhaps it was already having issues? Basically what you're left with, is to try the SSD with a different computer, to see if it's properly recognized. You could also try resetting/updating your BIOS, to see if the drive is recognized afterwards. Don't forget to try the SSD with the HDD disconnected, just to see if the same thing happens.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

RYANpunisher

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

RYANpunisher

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks boogieman,
I've tried disconnecting the hdd and it didnt work, my ssd wasn't giving me problems before so I don't understand. I just tried it in my brothers desktop and it still doesn't read it. It was working 100% before this so I'm not sure the issue. I am able to buy another one if needed but I'd like to see if this is fixable first. If I do end up buying another one would I have to buy another OS? My OS was on that ssd

Well it really sounds like the SSD might be done for especially if it's acting up the same way while connected to a different computer. If it's still under warranty, I'd recommend that you contact the vendor you got it from or the manufacturer's customer support and try to RMA it.

As for the Windows 10 activation, you should check this out: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation. So depending on how you got Windows 10, you might not need a product key in order to activate it if you make a clean install.