[SOLVED] SSD write speed dropped 15 times than read speed. Read: 480+ mbps and Write: 20-40mbps

May 29, 2021
hi ,
I've been looking around in several articles but I can't really find what I'm looking for,
(ssd Teamgroup 480gb) I checked its benchmark using CrystalDisk that showed a fair speed of 550mb/s read and 450mb/s write speed (listed 550/470)
then . Recently the speeds have dropped, lightly in read but drastically in write.
I'm getting 480 or sometimes even 450mb/s read speed. Write speeds are the main issue for me here, 20-40mb/s!

the same problem in file transfer from ssd to another , speed is fast untill suddenly... it drops
The SSD is having 80% free space and the health status is also Good, it is using SATA III 6gb/s port.

NOTE : i bought another SSD (kingstion 480gb) and the same problem appears only after i install windows 10 and install some apps ,

and AHCI on ,
SSD boot option #1

here youtube video i uploaded :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5bdPqhka9Q

Solution
Post-SLC QLC drives can definitely hit those speeds. tPROG for SLC mode is ~200µs while older QLC (64L) is over 3ms (15 times slower). Even newer QLC at 2ms will fold on DRAM-less drives so is more like 4ms, again easily 15x slower sequentially. Just 4 QLC dies at 480GB can be in the range of 20-60 MB/s when folding (which is 1/2 the native speed).
May 29, 2021
What are you copying?
Looks like a lot of small files.
That WILL go much much slower than the sequential speed shown in CDM.

Also, what are you copying FROM? HDD or SSD?

copying rainbow six seige game file from ssd to OS ssd (ssd that contain Windows)

when i copy the same file in opposite direction (from OS ssd to another SSD ) it gave me normal write speed

May 29, 2021
And what else is the Windows drive doing at that moment.
Many things could impact the performance.

Also, what is the temp of this drive?

actually nothing , ssd usage before i start to benchmark is 0% , when i start benchmark it become 100% with write speed =27MB/S at first then 450MB/s for 10 sec then again 27MB /s

ssd temperature is 47c

May 29, 2021
Which specific TeamGroup?
Some of them are dramless. Which WILL drop file copy speed drastically.

now i am using Kingston SA400 . 480GB

the problem in both SSDs

i am sure it's software issue

i tried to reset my windows and the problem Disappeared for 1 day then it back

when i format the ssd at all , the issue is completely Disappeared until i install windows 10

jasonf2

Distinguished
I have had similar issues in the past when multiple SSD's on SATA. Nothing guaranteed but a couple of things to try.

First off does your board have dual SATA controllers? Are they both SATA 6 or is one SATA 3 and one SATA 6. Are you running both SSDs on the same SATA controller? If they are both on the same controller try to split them out. SATA 6 maxes around 600 MBps and SSDs can smash a SATA interface this is why M.2 (PCIe) has really taken over in the high end space.

If you have integrated graphics and are running a discrete card - disable the integrated graphics card in bios and test. This is a potential shared resource thing.

Try turning the windows power plan to performance and see if that helps.

Try replacing both of your SATA cables.

Make sure your trim function is on and run it.

It should be noted that real write speeds on flash memory at the hardware level are significantly less than read speeds. This is due to full block erasure to write. For the most part to get advertised speeds a buffering routine has to be used (usually with DRAM). The deeper this buffer is, the more expensive the drive typically is. I can't really find any specs on your drive, but judging from the price there isn't a whole lot of dram in there. So while there is an advertised max speed that write number cannot typically be sustained indefinitely on lesser drives. The best drives buffer well enough to sustain write volume even on smaller files for extended periods. Small files are usually the problem and it looks like you are moving large volumes of small files. I am not saying that you should expect this much fall off, but some is to be expected.

This one is a tough one because some of the behavior is expected to happen but what we really don't know is if something is wrong or this is just an overloaded SATA controller or write buffer on the SSD controller.

Post-SLC QLC drives can definitely hit those speeds. tPROG for SLC mode is ~200µs while older QLC (64L) is over 3ms (15 times slower). Even newer QLC at 2ms will fold on DRAM-less drives so is more like 4ms, again easily 15x slower sequentially. Just 4 QLC dies at 480GB can be in the range of 20-60 MB/s when folding (which is 1/2 the native speed).

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS