[SOLVED] SSD write speed slow?

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a issue over here which i am not able to fix it. I have a kingston ssd { KINGSTON SA400S37480G} 480gb and my read speeds are ok and have no issues with that.

I am using this ssd in a laptop which has sata 2 port and yes i know my speed will be limited to 3Gbps.

The thing is this that my write speed is slow according to crystal disk mark as you can see in the link. At first i had good write speed when i got the ssd but now it doesn't have and i just got it recently on 15th september. I mean like after 4-5 days the write speed is slow as shown in crystal disk mark.

View: https://imgur.com/a/HQFalN4

I have tried all these troubleshooting but no use.

1. checked wether its in IDE mode or not in bios but it was in AHCI mode so all ok.
  2. ENABLED WRITE CACHE POLICY.
  3. TRIMMED THE SSD USING WINDOWS OPTIMISE OPTION
  4. checked firmware updates but there was no updates in kingston ssd manager.
  5. lastly in ahci link power mangement in power option is set to active in both battery and plugged in mode.
  6. turned off indexing.
Is this SSD faulty? I am asking because it has 391GB free of 447GB.

Solution
Sata 2 vs 3 makes a difference only in sequential operating speed.
There should be no impact on thermals.

ANY ssd in a laptop will be a vastly better performer than the usual 5400rpm HDD.

I would not worry about performance numbers you see in synthetic benchmarks.
And, for that matter, I would not worry about differences in performance among all ssd devices, they are all good.

On reliable ssd's I would pick Samsung and Intel. They make their own nand chips and components so they can do a better job of quality control. You might think that they would keep the best quality parts for themselves and sell the rest to ssd assemblers.
Look for a samsung 860 EVO in the size you want.
One benefit of samsung is that they have a nice ssd...
Gotcha. Well, the one thing that stands out is the temp--51c is probably too hot. If you can shut off your system for a few hours and run the crystal mark test again and it's normal, then it's definitely a heat issue and you need to check your cooling as you're probably cooking your entire system.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Gotcha. Well, the one thing that stands out is the temp--51c is probably too hot. If you can shut off your system for a few hours and run the crystal mark test again and it's normal, then it's definitely a heat issue and you need to check your cooling as you're probably cooking your entire system.
Ok. but...
Is 51 degrees really hot? i mean in idle.
I have tried many times times this test after shutting down the laptop even sometimes after a day but still same results.

But yes one thing if i run the test then it gets pretty hot.
By the way how can u cool down an ssd?
What is the temperature limit of an ssd?
What should be it's idle limit and under load limit ?

Is this defective if it runs hot? Cause my cpu doesn't run hot until i start doing some load test on it. And i dont do any intensive things on this laptop.

And yeah one more thing if the ssd runs hot then the read speed should also be affected right?

But it doesn't what do you think?

Ok. but...
Is 51 degrees really hot? i mean in idle.
I have tried many times times this test after shutting down the laptop even sometimes after a day but still same results.

But yes one thing if i run the test then it gets pretty hot.
By the way how can u cool down an ssd?
What is the temperature limit of an ssd?
What should be it's idle limit and under load limit ?

Is this defective if it runs hot? Cause my cpu doesn't run hot until i start doing some load test on it. And i dont do any intensive things on this laptop.

And yeah one more thing if the ssd runs hot then the read speed should also be affected right?

But it doesn't what do you think?
I believe it is--that's as hot as a cpu gets with a cooler on it. Do you know what the temp of the original hard drive was? That would be a good benchmark. Heat is exceptionally important in a laptop as a part of it running hot can affect some other part and then cause other issues.

I would check the specs to see what its operating limits are.

To cool it in a laptop--I don't know. You could try a fan on that part of the laptop, but that probably won't help much.

It would not be defective if it is running hot without proper cooling. You need to double-check the specs on it.

Read speeds wouldn't be affected as much since there's no bit flipping going on. Writes are always more intense for solid state media and hence generate heat.

Personally, I think it's just too hot of an ssd for that laptop. I know some of the older kingston ssds I have, have a metal casing that acts as a heat sink. If that heat sink is simply encased in a laptop, it will get super hot as it cannot do its job. Other ssds have a simple plastic housing that seems almost hollow--these units are probably better suited to a laptop since their cooling requirements seem far less.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
I would not worry much about synthetic benchmarks.
You will be doing small reads and writes most of the time.
Your ssd is a cheaper, low performance variant.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kingston-uv400-ssd-review,4730-2.html

It is normal for a ssd to slow down when presented with lengthy writes.

But the review you shared me its about kingston uv400 model mine is a400 model.
Are both these models of same build quality?
So do you mean that kingston ssd's are bad or is my ssd defective?

I didnt think that kingston ssd will be bad cause its kingston and the reviews in amazon very pretty good like 4.6 out of 5 stars.

So can u suggest reliable ssd's ?

Just one question this might be dumb just because this ssd is running in sata 2 port of my laptop is it causing overheating and so less speeds (i mean not achieving even sata 2 speeds properly) ?

But the review you shared me its about kingston uv400 model mine is a400 model.
Are both these models of same build quality?
So do you mean that kingston ssd's are bad or is my ssd defective?

I didnt think that kingston ssd will be bad cause its kingston and the reviews in amazon very pretty good like 4.6 out of 5 stars.

So can u suggest reliable ssd's ?

Just one question this might be dumb just because this ssd is running in sata 2 port of my laptop is it causing overheating and so less speeds (i mean not achieving even sata 2 speeds properly) ?
Reviews on amazon can be full of fakes, just like the amazon products.

Generally a lot of ssd manufacturers have a 'quality' ssd and an 'economy' one and the economy one's performance drops on sustained writes and in general may not be as reliable (warranty length is one indicator of what category a product fits under).

Sata 2 wouldn't have any effect on heat. If anything if it was throttling the performance, it would help with heat since the ssd would be doing less.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Reviews on amazon can be full of fakes, just like the amazon products.

Generally a lot of ssd manufacturers have a 'quality' ssd and an 'economy' one and the economy one's performance drops on sustained writes and in general may not be as reliable (warranty length is one indicator of what category a product fits under).

Sata 2 wouldn't have any effect on heat. If anything if it was throttling the performance, it would help with heat since the ssd would be doing less.
ok so can u suggest me good ssd's that are reliable and somewhat produce less heat.

ANY ssd in a laptop will be a vastly better performer than the usual 5400rpm HDD.

And, for that matter, I would not worry about differences in performance among all ssd devices, they are all good.

On reliable ssd's I would pick Samsung and Intel. They make their own nand chips and components so they can do a better job of quality control. You might think that they would keep the best quality parts for themselves and sell the rest to ssd assemblers.
Look for a samsung 860 EVO in the size you want.
One benefit of samsung is that they have a nice ssd migration app.
You can download the app and manual here:
You would use a usb to sata adapter cable assuming you do not have a second sata port.

Last edited:
Solution

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019

On reliable ssd's I would pics Samsung and Intel. They make their own nand chips and components so they can do a better job of quality control. You might think that they would keep the best quality parts for themselves and sell the rest to ssd assemblers.
ok thanks. What about crucial mx500 ssd's and western digital ones ?

ok so can u suggest me good ssd's that are reliable and somewhat produce less heat.
I don't know. You will need to see what ssd will produce the least amount of heat. You'll need to see the real engineering specs sheets or owners manuals and figure this out that way. There's a lot of them out there, but I don't know which one runs the coolest which is what you're looking for.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Like geofelt said, Intel and Samsung will be top notch in terms of quality. But I don't think quality is your issue--it's heat. Even these 'quality' ones might exhibit the same behavior if stressed beyond their design limits--that's your core problem, not your ssd.
ok i understand but i am not installing or reinstalling anything again and again. its just that in benchmarks i am seeing these results. i am not doing anything much with the ssd actually.