SSD writing alarming amounts of data a day.

Hokkiefrank

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2016
So one and a half months ago I replaced my old 250GB crucial boot SSD (It was failing me but now works again as a near empty game drive) with a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

I transfered all the data from that old boot drive to the samsung drive with the samsung migration software. Now, almost 50 days after I did that it has written 4500GB of data which comes down to almost 100GB a day.

The samsung SSD has a DWPD of 82GB so its not too unhealthy. But im still concerned and wondering as to what is doing this. If anyone has an idea as to how I can find what is causing this it would be much appreciated.

Solution

That's almost certainly the issue.

USAFRet

Titan

Only way to really know is to monitor it once a day.
Did most of this 4.5TB happen in the first couple of days?
Or a steady build up over the last month and a half?
Unknown.

Monitor it for a few days and see how it goes.

That does seem suspiciously high. One possibility I can think of is that it could be the hibernation file, if you suspend the computer multiple times a day, particularly if you have a lot of RAM. "Suspend to disk" will write a large file containing the contents of your RAM to the drive each time that happens, whereas "Suspend to RAM" requires more power while the computer is sleeping, but just leaves the memory powered instead. What kind of specs does this computer have?

Hokkiefrank

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2016
Alright, thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have been monitoring all day and think I might have found the problem. I noticed how there was a lot of data written on the ssd after I played a game. So after looking online I realized my mistake: I had shadowplay running on full resolution and framerate (1440p60) which ofcourse makes a lot of temporary files. Those files got up to 6/7 gb just for 20 min of gameplay. Since I game a lot a day so that is probably writing a lot of data to the ssd. I just turned it off and it seems like it put the data written to an almost complete stop. I'm going to keep monitoring over the next few days to see if this is really the problem.

USAFRet

Titan

That's almost certainly the issue.

Solution

Hokkiefrank

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2016
So after a few days of monitoring I can confirm that it was shadowplay that caused the enormous amounts of data written. Right now I sit at around 30/40 gb a day which seems fine to me.