[SOLVED] SSD

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So i currently have 1tb HDD and 120gb SSD, today i brought a new 500gb SSD ........

Crucial MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD4-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, M.2 Type 2280SS, Internal SSD)

The problem im having is i only have one slot for the m.2 SSD and the SSD i have now has windows installed on it and few other files, so how can i install the new SSD and copy all the things that are on my old SSD to the new SSD if i only have the one SSD slot?

Thanks.

Solution
That should be NO problem.

Right click on the C partition.
There should be an option to Extend.

That will extend the C partition into the blank space to the right.

USAFRet

Titan
You'll need a USB flash drive to boot from, and some storage space large enough to hold the entirety of your current 128GB..

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
You'll need a USB flash drive to boot from, and some storage space large enough to hold the entirety of your current 128GB..

2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
Integral 128GB USB Memory 2.0 Flash Drive Courier Blue INFD128GBCOU

Like this? thanks for the quick response as well.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
Sorry never done anything like this before just to clear a few things up... so based on the steps

2. when i bring this menu up from the "other tasks" it says windows boot menu or iso file what do i do from there?

3. So here am i copying the current SSD to the flash usb?

6. How would i boot up from USB?

7. Where would i find recover?

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
Under "Other Tasks" - select "Create Rescue Media..."
This builds a bootable USB for use a bit later.

Then, in Macrium, you select the current 128GB drive.
"Image this disk..."
Go through all the steps, and designate a location on some other large drive. Your HDD, or an external something.
This results in a file of somethingsomething.mrimage
Power OFF
Physically swap the 128GB with your new Crucial.
Boot up from the Rescue media you created earlier
That will allow you to "Restore - Browser for an Image or backup file..."
Select that .mrimage you made, and then tell it the new drive "Crucial" to restore that to.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

"Image this disk..."
Go through all the steps, and designate a location on some other large drive. Your HDD, or an external something.
Power OFF
Select that .mrimage you made, and then tell it the new drive "Crucial" to restore that to.
Ah thanks for this.

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

"Image this disk..."
Power OFF
I'm struggling with how to boot from the USB I've turned back on after swapping SSD and its on the macrium reflect but I cant figure how to boot from USB

SMS85

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I'm struggling with how to boot from the USB I've turned back on after swapping SSD and its on the macrium reflect but I cant figure how to boot from USB
im going through it again and there may have been a problem when i had to "image" the old SSD is there anything pacific i need to do when going through those steps?