phippsy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I was gonna buy a SSD to play games like amnesia and dead island and other first person shooters will it be worth it for gaming and will it make the game run smoother

Hell yeah!!!! you will notice high difference.whats your budget mate?ssds are a bit of expensive things.make sure you get a reliable one.a 120 gb crucial m4 should fulfill your need si guess

It may reduce load times slightly but as for playing "smoother", I'm not seeing it. My son's box dual boots from HD (Barracuda XT) and SSD (550 MBps) ..... putting various games on both HD and SSD, I've played loading the game from each and, subjectively at least, there's no visual difference.

It does boot 5.6 seconds faster from the SSD (15.6 versus 21.2). Where you are likely to see a difference is in loading times during initial game load and and when moving from region to region in a MMO or loading a new chapter in a game.

phippsy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hmmm not sure what to do now lol if it's only gonna make boot up and load times quicker I'm not that bothered about getting 1 i was hoping there would be an improvement with running games

well Jack,ssds cannot improve visual quality in games cause they are not GPUs.
my computer boots up in less than 20 sec(MAX).crysis warhead loads in less than 8 sec.modern warfare 2 loads in the blink of an eye.so you must agree that ssds are really fast.