SSDs 120GB...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xympa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I was looking to buy an SSD with 120gb, I've read a lot about these SSDs and I'm still torn between the Agility 3, Force series 3 and the Crucial M4...

As I understand it, the m4 has much higher 4k write and read speeds, but on the rest of the categories, the agility and the force series 3 seem to be amazingly better, what's your take on it? Which one would you advise having in mind that most of the time the SSD will have 20GB free at most?

Solution
I wouldn't recommend any of the 3.

First, you're comparing 2 different categories of NAND. The type of NAND used is 90% of the determining factor in an SSD's performance.

the agility uses asynchronous, the corsair and the m4 use synchronous.

However, toggle is by far the fastest, and any toggle NAND ssd will perform almost exactly the same. Toggle NAND ssd are about the same price as synchronous right now, so there's almost no reason to buy a synchronous NAND based ssd at the moment.

Only difference between them being price and reliability. Intel does not yet make toggle NAND ssd's. Their synchonous series is 510.

Sandisk has the cheapest 120gb toggle ssd ($140 sandisk extreme). they're also almost as reliable as intel, having...

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Get it!!!

there should be a button to press that say choose as best answer or something like that on the bottom right of each post.

Status
Not open for further replies.