Question SSDs and Heatsinks

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I don't know if staff deletes my topics or what, but hardly any show up in my content anymore, so here I am making another one...

Someone on here said ssds that come with heatsinks typically don't have them attached. But reviews of some seem to say otherwise.

People always talk up mobos that have heatsinks for the m2 slots, as if they're so nice to have, but now someone is telling me youy should never use mobo heatsinks, you should only use heatsinks that come with the drives. So I am supposed to just ignore the built in heatsinks for those slots on my x570 ace? And since the mobo is designed to have those heatsinks there for the ssds, won't ssds that COME with heatsinks not even fit???

I have never built before and this is all sounding like a big headache and people contradicting each other on every question I have.

rgd1101

Don't
Someone on here said ssds that come with heatsinks typically don't have them attached. But reviews of some seem to say otherwise.
because depend on the slot location. the heatsink might block a pcie card

People always talk up mobos that have heatsinks for the m2 slots, as if they're so nice to have, but now someone is telling me youy should never use mobo heatsinks, you should only use heatsinks that come with the drives. So I am supposed to just ignore the built in heatsinks for those slots on my x570 ace? And since the mobo is designed to have those heatsinks there for the ssds, won't ssds that COME with heatsinks not even fit???
You can only use one. pick one.
the only thing I read is that better to cool the controller and not the chip.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
because depend on the slot location. the heatsink might block a pcie card

You can only use one. pick one.
the only thing I read is that better to cool the controller and not the chip.
what someone said is that the ssds are designed to work with their existing heatsinks and that ones from mobos won't be right for them. But if a mobo haseheatsinks for the m2 slots won't it then be impossible to fit in ssds with their own heatsinks? For being a beginner builder this seems complicated.