News SSDs Are About to Get Cheaper: Prices to Continue to Drop Into Q1 of 2021

Good. Eventually they will probably be the same cost if not cheaper than HDDs.

I spent $39.99 on a 480gb PNY CS900 just the other day. In late 2018, $39.99 was roughly what it cost me for a Kingston A400 240gb SSD. In late 2017/early 2018 I paid about $35 for a 120gb SSD. Prices continue to drop dramatically.

These PNY CS900 drives aren't amazing, but I have owned half a dozen or so and haven't had any issues. A 500gb HDD is around $20-25. For a drive exponentially faster and probably farmore reliable, almost 2x the cost seems like a good deal.

I had a Corsair Source 240gb SSD. I noticed the mfg date was 2011 so I wanted to google hm it cost new. In 2011 a cheap dreamless SSD would have been between $300 and $400. WOAH.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not really been in the market for an nvme drive but as fast as the prices are falling, i see a 1 tb model in my future around the end of the year. i think when i finally see $75 for 1 tb, i'll pull the trigger. and with lower end models rapidly approaching this range, i expect midrange drives to get close by the end of the year. those pny drives are already low and i'm seeing wd blue drives dropping almost every day now :)

i grabbed my first ssd which is a pny cs900 240 gb i got for $25 on sale last christmas time. didn't think i'd see such prices again for a while.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Where do these people get their price data? Or do they only look at the US? We had 2 price increases this year, the first in March then in June. Prices started to go down after August, but the drop was small and there was only one price drop, and not across all suppliers.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Good. Eventually they will probably be the same cost if not cheaper than HDDs.

That would be nice

Do you mean SATA SSDs or NVMe SSDs?

Can't see that ever happening with NVMe. The price of a SATA HDD per TB is currently around A$45- $65 per TB (Depending on the size of the drive you buy; Here's its more expensive the bigger you go)

For NVMe it's currently around A$275 per TB.

Each new PCie revision adds a substantial premium to the price which I feel will mean the prices over time will pretty much only very slowly decline.

Thomas_303

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
not really been in the market for an nvme drive but as fast as the prices are falling, i see a 1 tb model in my future around the end of the year. .

They are very awesome, No point in bothering with a SSD now they difference in speed between a M.2 drive and SSD is now far greater than it ever was between a SSD and mechanical drive. It's a huuuge upgrade on the desktop and web browsing if you like to open a few thousands tabs like me.