Question SSDs failing occasionally and inconsistently even after replacing with new SSD and MOBO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2022
Check my old thread for more info

Couple weeks ago I had what seemed to be either my SSD or Motherboard start failing, however I have since bought a new MOBO and SSD and moved everything over from the old drive to the new drive and now the new drive is having the same issues. The only thing that hasn't changed is the PSU, CPU, GPU and OS (OS is running on another NVMe SSD which doesn't seem to be having the same issue since it never BSODs). At this point I almost certain its Windows (either the drive controller or some other issue), occasionally the drive will just fail during use and still shows under My PC but any folder I try to open says "... is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified" as well as it showing up in Disk Management as RAW instead of NTFS, this may also happen occasionally straight from a PC restart or shows in My PC but the storage progress bar doesn't show (700 GB free of 931 GB for example), or lastly will just not show up at all in My PC or Disk Management. Again this was happening with the old drive but after a new MOBO and SSD is now happening on the new drive.

Troubleshooting I have tried:
  • Re-installing chipset drivers
  • Updating BIOS to latest version
  • Updating Windows to latest version
  • Installing Samsung NVMe driver on new Samsung drive (actually caused more issues)
  • Setting SATA in BIOS to AHCI and disabling CSM
  • Running CHKDSK and WMIC
  • S.M.A.R.T reports no issues
  • Converting drives to GPT from MBR (Samsung started as GPT)
  • Changing Link State Power Management to Off
  • …probably a few more I have forgotten

Drives:
  • OS drive - ADATA SX8200NP 240GB (maybe starting to have issues, or is just general windows crashes)
  • Old problematic drive - ADATA SX6000NP 480GB (less often but still having same issue even after format and being empty)
  • New problematic drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 1.5TB (never had an issue)

Event Viewer codes:
  • Bolded = most common
  • 50 - {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file P:\... (P:\ is the new SSD)
  • 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation. (Disk 1 is the new SSD, errors MANY times)
  • 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation. (Disk 3 is the old SSD)
  • 137 - The default transaction resource manager on volume P: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.
  • 140 - Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.
  • 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3. (during startup)
  • 11 - Physical Device 0x144d Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB is on-line (during startup)
  • 129 - Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued. (during startup)

PC Specs (check old thread for old specs):
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570S GAMING X (rev1.0)
  • RAM: 2x8gb Trident Z RGB 3200MHz
  • GPU: GALAX GTX 1060 6GB OC
  • PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum (3+ Years Old)
  • BIOS: Version F3 (28/1/2022)

Trying to avoid fresh installing Windows 10, maybe willing to upgrade to Windows 11 but not ideal lol, any suggestions would be great.

D

Deleted member 14196

Well then you’ll never know if the ram is the issue or not because you’re just being lazy. I would go four full passes testing one stick at a time and looking for zero errors and that’s the only way you should do it. Look at what cutting corners has got you so far. Is it working for you?

Jan 4, 2022
Welp, after reinstalling Windows, I tried to reinstall Halo Infinite from Xbox app onto the same drive as before (the problematic drive, hoping it would just find all the files and "download" super quick) but after 1% it errored, I click on a folder in that drive and the same error occurred. So it seems like clean Windows install did not fix the issue. It was working fine for about 1 hour whilst I just set up my windows settings etc. but the moment I went to use it, it started doing it again.

I'm 99% certain this is not hardware though as the exact same thing was happening with my old MOBO and SSD, must be corrupted files or something as that's the only thing that is the same right now. (Worst case maybe PSU?)
I restarted my PC and managed to completely format the problematic drive assuming it was certain files, but after trying to install Halo Infinite again it failed at 1% and usual issues occurred, I have done a couple more restarts and managed to get the install to 63% before errors.

Jan 4, 2022
Well then you’ll never know if the ram is the issue or not because you’re just being lazy. I would go four full passes testing one stick at a time and looking for zero errors and that’s the only way you should do it. Look at what cutting corners has got you so far. Is it working for you?
I highly doubt my RAM is causing my drives to spontaneously error. If you don't having anything useful to say don't say it at all as your suggestions have gotten me nowhere and you couldn't even be bothered reading my original post to begin with and suggested something so arrogantly assuming you had magically fixed the issue, and you haven't.

If you have any actual idea what is causing this or any other useful suggestions I am all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.