SSDs Have Bleak Future, Says Researchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie d

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
They will find a way. LCDs are supposed to suck, and look at all the tom-foolery LCD manufacturers have gone through to make them compete with Plasma and CRT.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Should I worry about the sun's collapse ?
Double the latencies when on 4 TB capacity ? that's still in the microseconds range...
Mechanical disks need to rely on caches (try disabling the disk's cache on device properties in windows, and see), and it's completely impossible to go beyond milliseconds (head's weight - movement speed - strength are related to materials we have, and discovering such a material (that could make possible to go beyond ms) would change our whole lives (but not for having better HDD, we would have better cars, planes...).
SDD based on nand flash, memristors or whatever else are here to stay. I agree in some scenarios HDDs still perform best... but the trend will be towards SSDs: because (to make SSDs) you don't need to master another completely different technology (to make HDDs), because it's hard to fit an HDD into a SoC...

G

The term SSD could be applied to any solid-state memory based storage device, not just NAND flash based ones. It seems shortsighted to claim the doom of SSDs based on the short comings of one memory type. What about PCM, ReRAM and STT-RAM based SSD's?

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
"The automobile is only a fad, but the horse is forever."

In the future we will likely see a hybrid approach, with a small SSD (possibly directly socketed into the mobo) for the OS and a few common apps. This will be invisible to the user, just as RAM is invisible to them now. The first chipset to really pioneer this approach will gain an advantage over the competition, and you can bet they are already working on it. The Z68 was the first step, next there will be a socket on the mobo for a small NAND hard drive with the OS pre-installed and some extra room. The BIOS will know that when this boot drive is detected to boot from it rather than a traditional HDD, and the OS will know to keep it hidden from the user.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Pure speculation from an "expert." I think it is rather annoying that there is a lot of obvious things "discovered" by "scientific" researchers these days, and it somehow passes as newsworthy.

What cannot be seen at this point is all the improvements in the technology that real researchers are working on and will continue to develop to overcome all the problems cited by this "expert." I am sure that real researchers are aware of the problems pointed out by this "expert," and are already looking for solutions.

By the time that 2024 comes along, who knows what form mass storage will have.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
An interesting article but 12 years from now is a long time in the computer world. It could very well be that something new completely replaces SSDs. I would actually be surprised that something doesn't replace it.

G

Come on Tom, this is a silly article. Assuming the problems increase with no technology increase other than stumbling along the shrinking die path; to illustrate a cloudy future for SSDs? Really? On so many levels this is absurd.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Sometimes I wonder, desktop HDD are not limited to power consumption, but why arent the HDD manufacturer push 10K RPM HDD down to mainstream to "slow the SSD" adoption . Surely the latency gap would have improved significantly, 8.9ms vs 4.0 seek time. It may not reach the SSD ones, but it is still better to delay the SSD getting into mainstream. While many of us like the capacity of HDD, but we I would prefer having slighly smaller 500GB with boost speed over the 2TB ones. The size of the mainstream SSD are still less than 64GB, win7 64bit takes up almost half of it, so the leave not much room for games/other thing.

swoz

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
This is mostly true. I've heard such issues with new NAND processes from a memory expert.
However, there are many competitors with next-gen solid state storage. By the time NAND's dominance within SSD is over, there will be bigger, better, and faster SSDs, just not using NAND.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]divhon[/nom]truly yours, THAILAND HDD manufacturers[/citation]

It's even worse. "... states Laura Grupp, a graduate student at the University of California, San Diego. " She's a grad student!
That makes her words even less respectable in my eyes.

I recently bought myself and SSD for my laptop and after couple of days I would never go back to HDD. NEVER!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
1984... bought my first hard drive.
5 1/4 inch, full height ( that's like 2 regular size CD-ROM drives on top of each other).
Cost... 2 weeks pay.
Capacity unformated : 5MB

Tape drive manufacturers made it clear that this technology will never replace the massive amounts of storage provided by tapes.

Anyone have a tape drive in their computer ?

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]eddie d[/nom]They will find a way. [/citation]

Exactly. Who even knows how we are going to store data in 12y from now. They fast forwarded to 2024 like there was no innovations between 2012 and 2024...

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]Those that can do, those that can't teach.[/citation]

And those that can't do either one spout moronic platitudes...

carnage0651

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Pure speculation. I’m sure there would be issues if hardware manufacturers continued to do everything the same way 12 years from now as they do today. Thankfully these technologies and engineering in general are evolutionary processes that change during product development. This "study" is like saying you can't run a Pentium 1 at 1 GHz. You sure as heck can. You’re going to need to change your cooling system from air cooling to an exotic system but none the less it can be done. In 12 years we may not be using traditional semi-conductors in SSDs for memory at all. There is the possibility of crystalline memory mediums such as quarts replacing our current technology just as conventional hard drives have replaced magnetic tape. To say SSDs are doomed is just silly.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"They predicted that read/write latency will double in MLC flash and increase more than 2.5 times for TLC flash."
So instead of .1 ms of latency, we're going to have .2, or even .25 ms?! This is TERRIBLE news! What ever are we going to do?
Go to a different menufactoring process with different materials... We've known this forever.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
first of all this is a report from a graduate student so you can just ignore it right there. Secondly there were scientists that said we'd never break the sound barrier because as speed increased the air resistance would increase and prevent you from being able to go any faster. Lastly its from a graduate student from univ. of cauleeforneah

Oh P.S.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/30/embargo-ibm-develops-instantaneous-memory-100x-faster-than-fl/

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]1984... bought my first hard drive. 5 1/4 inch, full height ( that's like 2 regular size CD-ROM drives on top of each other).Cost... 2 weeks pay.Capacity unformated : 5MBTape drive manufacturers made it clear that this technology will never replace the massive amounts of storage provided by tapes.Anyone have a tape drive in their computer ?[/citation]
LOL actually.... I do have an LTO2 drive for music backup purposes

4745454b

Titan
Farthermore I'm sure we've heard this kind of talk all the time about similar and other things. Can't go above 1GHz, can't go above 640kB, can't go above 4GBs of ram, etc. There are always plenty of can't and shouldn't people out there. 2024? Serious? Any idea of what we will develop between now and then? Think of it this way, what did we use for computers 12 years ago back in the year 2000? Did you ever think we would have 4 and 8 core CPUs with 24GBs of ram, 3TB hdds, and the ability to use 3 GTX580 class GPUs together? Care to guess what we will have 12 years from now?

G

Simplistic extrapolation of a limited number of current and past Flash devices is nonsense, not even worthy of a grad student. Will manufacturers produce terabyte Flash devices that are slower than mere 100-gigabyte Flash (or some rival non-volatile solid-state storage technology) devices? Of course, because their will be a huge market for it. Simultaneously, will manufacturers produce ever-faster Flash (or equivalent) devices at "mere" 100-gigabyte capacities? Of course, because there will be a huge market for that too. The ancient phonograph-style technology of HDD (rotating media, moving pickup arm) will soon join the paper-tape reader in the museum of ancient computer technology.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]1984... bought my first hard drive. 5 1/4 inch, full height ( that's like 2 regular size CD-ROM drives on top of each other).Cost... 2 weeks pay.Capacity unformated : 5MBTape drive manufacturers made it clear that this technology will never replace the massive amounts of storage provided by tapes.Anyone have a tape drive in their computer ?[/citation]
You left out that tape drives from back in the 1990s still have more capacity than most HDD's today. If a company wanted to, it could have kept innovating that type of data storage, and we'd all have tapes in our computers. The world just went a different way..

Status
Not open for further replies.