[SOLVED] SSDs no longer recognised by MSW10 after Update - please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixTheCat2021

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Hi all,
After a bigger Windows 10 Update (2020H2) my OS stopped recognising my three SSD SATA drives (M.2 boot drive still works fine). Yesterday, prior to the update, all drives still worked just fine. All drives are recognised by the BIOS, but the SATA drives are not recognised by Windows explorer, disk manager or device manager. My driver manager software (Driver Hub) notes that the SATA driver needs an update, tries to update but fails. Automatic driver update in Windows just tells me that the most up to date driver is installed even though the driver is from 2015. The AMD website informs that the SATA driver which comes with Windows is the right one to use.
This has happened to me before and I ended up reformatting all my drives and reinstalling windows to get the SSDs working again. I would rather like to avoid going through that again. Does anybody have any tips on what else I could try?

Small update: Updating the Chipset drivers from Gigabyte and/or AMD website made no difference. Returning MSW Build to Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 made the drives reappear straight away. What could this be?

With many thanks in advance.
Felix

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model AB350-Gaming 3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F51b, 02/07/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product AB350-Gaming 3-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.844"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 25.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 17.8 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Last edited:

FelixTheCat2021

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Hi all,
Almost two years later I am having this exact same issue again. Back in 2021 I fixed it by disabelling fTPM in the BIOS. Now I finally "upgraded" to W11 (which required fTPM to be on). The SATA drives vanished again, but turning fTPM off does not bring them back this time. What could this be?
Please help.

FelixTheCat2021

Prominent
Mar 16, 2021
Hi all,
Almost two years later I am having this exact same issue again. Back in 2021 I fixed it by disabelling fTPM in the BIOS. Now I finally "upgraded" to W11 (which required fTPM to be on). The SATA drives vanished again, but turning fTPM off does not bring them back this time. What could this be?
Please help.

Now I am posting my own solution after getting help on the Microsoft forum: Apparently W11 works differently with drives and requires RAID insteead of ACHI. Would never have thought of that.

Changing in the BIOS from ACHI to RAID did not bring the drives back straight away. I observed two differences:

1. during start-up (before W11 loads) the four drives are listed, it states that the BIOS defaults have been restored and gives the option to press CTRL-C to configure

2. In the device manager there were two new RAID controllers listed under "other devices" with the little yellow triangle, but an updated driver could not be found by Windows. However the utility of the motherbroad found a RAID driver and after installing this, all drives re-appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.