[SOLVED] SSDs realiability: WD Green vs KingstonA400?

Sep 11, 2017
So, my HDD is almost kicking the bucket, I've suffered weird slowdowns, all sectors show up as bad (even though they are not since all my data is fine) so I suspect the needle is having troubles. I have another HDD and while still working fine, it has 20,000 hours on it and shows caution on crystal disk info so...

Anyway, I wanna get a 120 GB SSD from said brands, the only thing I care about is reliability. Consider this will be my daily driver storage device.

"Why 120 GB if that's such little storage capacity?" you'd say. Well that is right, but I can't afford anything else and I need an immediate replacement before critical data is lost.
By critical data I don't mean actual important data from school, work or anything, that's backed up, but I have a lot of videos, pictures, that are too many to fit on cloud storage or other drivers.
You may also be asking, "Well, why not an HDD then?", thing is, in my country there are no HDD's of any capacity for this price that aren't "new pull" or refurbished. Not gonna flip the coin on those, and used market is not 'wide' enough for me to find anything worthwhile.
I'd have to spend twice the amount of money to get a good brand new HDD and, well if I could do that I wouldn't even be asking this question lol.

For what I've read, even this cheapo SSDs will last me at least 3-5 years, roughly the same that all my cheapo HDDs have lasted, so this is fine.
But I'm still asking since I'm not literate on how SSDs work and you may be able to help me choose the better of those.

I could also get a Crucial BX500 120GB but that will arrive in 1 week and again, I'm not keen on playing russian roulette with my data, unless you tell me it is a considerably way much MUCH better option than WD and Kingston, then I'll consider waiting.

As a side note, I can also afford other 120 GB SSDs but for the little I've researched I'm aware ADATA and SanDisk entry SSDs are not exactly know for it's reliability so I didn't even mention them.

Thanks!

Solution
WD Green - Avoid at all costs. It is slow even among SATA III devices.
Kingston - Preferentially avoid.

120GB - You'll be back in a couple of months, wondering how to manage your drive space.
If you are going to install windows on that drive your ssd must have dram cache if not then it will sometimes perform even worse than hdd. You'll have to watch some reviews to know if the ssd ur interested has dram cache. If im right wd green does not have dram the wd blue does adata su800 also and even the Samsung drives.
Edit:Mx500 also have dram

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017
If you are going to install windows on that drive your ssd must have dram cache if not then it will sometimes perform even worse than hdd. You'll have to watch some reviews to know if the ssd ur interested has dram cache. If im right wd green does not have dram the wd blue does adata su800 also and even the Samsung drives.
Edit:Mx500 also have dram

It doesn't really matter if it performs the same as an HDD, I wasn't disappointed with an HDD performance, the only thing that matters to me is reliability, so you are saying one with DRAM is much bettter? I'll try to see search if I c an find the SU800 for cheap

It doesn't really matter if it performs the same as an HDD, I wasn't disappointed with an HDD performance, the only thing that matters to me is reliability, so you are saying one with DRAM is much bettter? I'll try to see search if I c an find the SU800 for cheap
Yes a ssd with dram will be better especially if an OS is installed and if its dram less then it sometimes performs WORSE than hdd, and now-a-days dram ssd are very inexpensive and ssd's give very noticeable perfomance improvement which is lot faster than hdd.