SSD's Sata II and III on a 3Gb/s controller

AxemanACL

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hello, I was wondering if there is any performance boost with using a Sata III SSD on a 3Gb/s motherboard controller verses using a Sata II SSD on a 3Gb/s motherboard controller. I realize any boost would be small. (Really I'm just trying to talk myself into a SATA III drive).

On a related note, does anyone have suggestions for a 120-128GB SSD for around $1/GB when on sale. I know the Crucial M4, is a good one, but even on sale it is a little out of my price range.

Thank you all for your help.

Solution
The controller is going to be the limiting factor but there is no reason not to buy the SATA III SSD since eventually you will upgrade to a motherboard with a SATA III controller! For selecting a specific drive then check out the after Christmas sales just starting.
The controller is going to be the limiting factor but there is no reason not to buy the SATA III SSD since eventually you will upgrade to a motherboard with a SATA III controller! For selecting a specific drive then check out the after Christmas sales just starting.

Solution