SSDs - Super Slow Drives?

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've just built a new computer which has 256gb M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SDD and a 1TB 850 Evo SSD and when copying files either from one location to another or from one drive to another, I'm getting extremely slow speeds, less than 50mb/s down to 1mb/s.. I had it do a transfer at 700mb/s then I tried again and back down to the slow speeds.. My motherboard is a Gigabyte X99 SOC-Force and processor is i7 5960x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kaine

Solution
Well that's pretty good news.

As for the BD PROCHOT issue, it sounds like you're not the only one who has the some problem. Most of the times I've read about that kind of issue, it is because the mobo falsely signals that the CPU is too hot and "throttles down" the processor to prevent it from overheating. Normally I'd suggest update of your BIOS/UEFI, but since you've already done that, getting it touch with the mobo manufacturer might be a better idea, to see what they have to say about it.
If you haven't already, download the Samsung Magician Software and install it. It's not junk software, it's very useful. It will help you optimize the SSDs. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170 You can also update the SSD firmware with this software. I highly recommend you install it. It won't get in your way or bog down your system.

Note: You may have to scroll down on the page till you see the download for it.

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the reply Dookie.

Unfortunately I've got that installed already and the firmware on both drives is up-to-date. You can't use the optimization option as TRIM is done automatically on windows 10.

Cheers,
Kaine

EDIT: I don't know if this is important but the speed also drops to 0 bytes/sec and will then jump up to like 20mb/s, then drop back down.. I tried switching the drive to IDE instead of AHCI but no difference, and I've tried just about every Sata and sSata port on the board.

Hey there, Kainev.

So the issue is just with the 1TB SSD? You could download a benchmark testing tool to test those drives individually and see what results you'll get. Have you tried transferring files to an external drive for example. With each of the SSD's to see if they both act up like this?
You could try resetting or updating your BIOS/UEFI, to see if the issue still persists. Another option would be to check if the drivers for your mobo are up to date and update them if not.
Other than that you could get in touch with either the SSD manufacturer's customer support or the mobo's customer support, to see if the guys there are aware of similar issues and if there's a fix for that.

Hope that helps. Please keep us updated.
Boogieman_WD

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Hey mate,

So I thought it happened with my 256gb one as well but I just did some tests and it seems to be working fine, ranging from 250mb/s to 1.5gb/s, averaging probably 700-900mb/s.. So yes, appears to be with just the 1TB SSD. I'll try a benchmark and see how it goes.

BIOS is up to date, I'll check the drivers but I believe they're good too. Thanks for the help, I'll report back with more info :)

Kind Regards,
Kaine

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Alrighty, I ran UserBenchmark and have gotten some interesting results..

My 1TB 850 Evo benched:
Read: 339
Write: 250
4K Read 26.7
4K Write 2.2

When I looked at what it said was the top result with that drive it was:
Read: 515
Write 420
4K Read: 47.6
4K Write: 112

That 4K Write has a massive difference..

My 256GB M.2 went better with:
Read: 1389
Write: 933
4K Read: 27.2
4K Write: 58.2 (The 4K numbers seem slow)

However again when compared to the the average result it wasn't amazing, the average Read result for other users is 1691 and the average 4K Write result is 161 which some people getting 200+..

Does this give any insight? My technical skills allows me to draw the conclusion that they're not running as fast as they should and that's about it haha.

Cheers,
Kaine

EDIT: Just a side note, my CPU gets limited to 1.37GHz unless I disable BDPROCHOT, then it runs fine.. It's water cooled and temps are normally around 30 C and under more load 45ish C, not sure if this is relevant or not

Well you could get in touch with the drives' manufacturer's customer support to see what they have to say about it. For now the options with the drivers and trying the SSDs with a different computer still remain. It would be even better if you could find a computer with a different motherboard to compare the benchmark results.

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Just got in touch and they're going to replace it once I give it another format to see if that fixes the issue.. I might also get in contact with Gigabyte and see if they'll replace my motherboard, as I don't like that it's messing with my CPU.. and potentially the drive. This computer has been a nightmare D:

Well that's pretty good news.

As for the BD PROCHOT issue, it sounds like you're not the only one who has the some problem. Most of the times I've read about that kind of issue, it is because the mobo falsely signals that the CPU is too hot and "throttles down" the processor to prevent it from overheating. Normally I'd suggest update of your BIOS/UEFI, but since you've already done that, getting it touch with the mobo manufacturer might be a better idea, to see what they have to say about it.

Solution