SSE4 - when will it be mainstream?

In multimedia. Video encoding. I bet it will, but most free apps will take longer to be updated. Professional apps will take advantages asap. DivX is also ready for it.

If you are going more future proof the 9450 is a great idea. Its higher FSB does mean you need a better board when overclocking, but most boards do high FSB easy now.

Without overclocking it already beats the Q6600 due to its higher speed and some slight core enhancements.

The Q6600 is flocked to for its low price and good performance and overclocking for the price

The Q9450 also uses less power so its a more green solution.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
yeah i understand that the Q9450 is more future proof...but by the time when SSE4 is really needed....wouldn't I need to upgrade? (2-3 years) like..wouldn't the Q9450 be a piece of crap...and a $100 CPU could beat it by like x3....kinda how Graphic cards work.... 8600 with DX10...pure crap even if it has future technology...

I am just guessing(and its just a guess) on multimedia apps. its not like the breakthrough MMX was when it came out.

Both cpus WILL be quite obsolete in 3 years

I am not sure how quick others will adopt to SSE4, look at how long 64 bit has been around and its just starting to get a boost in apps, but is still nowhere near mainstream despite 64 bit cpus being mainstream.

Anyone else have any guesses?