[SOLVED] ssf psu possible to change?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi i have a

hp elitedesk 800 g1 ssf ssd 500 samsung 860evo 8gb ram
i was switching between hard drive for so tests and
for some reason the ssf psu started to be very noisy like max power and then when i try to boot it makes a loud beep and tells me the fan of the psu is not recongnised.
how to fix?

or i happen to have 2 free psu . one is on the pic 350w that i could put on top of the case prefered choice or i have cp 850 antec also.

could i unplug the native psu and replace it by the 350 w(pic where you see my hand?
View: https://imgur.com/xcwyvax

View: https://imgur.com/NBufZ4v
native
View: https://imgur.com/L6cV0xA
native

spareone View: https://imgur.com/sXZXjIB

eOr if it is to much fiddle farting to try to make my spare psu is there a cheap will fit psu i could buy? (canada)

Last edited:
Solution
and then when i try to boot it makes a loud beep and tells me the fan of the psu is not recongnised.

Not possible. The power supply fan is regulated by thermal circuitry inside the psu itself, it's totally enclosed, there's no external influence. The psu fan is in no way connected to anything outside of its case.

The warning error was about the CPU cooler fan, not the psu cooler fan. Totally different.

Check the wire from where the cpu fan plugs in.

Lutfij

Titan
Due to the size and design of the motherboard/chassis/prebuilt, you can't drop in an aftermarket PSU for that SFF build. You're going to have to source a PSU that's meant to go into the SFF system, as a direct replacement.

pic where you see my hand
I don't see any picture with your hand in it.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
i unplugged the psu from mobo repluged it and plug ssd and it works well no prob
but when i unplug ssd and plug a hdd 500 7200 rpm the beeping noise and screen about psu fan not detected is happearance.
i found this txt but me english is not good enough to get what they say
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ted-F1-boot-but-fan-running-fine/td-p/6697971
they talk about frist time and bios and fan still running but loud can you see what i have to do .
it is like as if with ssd the psu fan is correct not noisy but when going on hdd prob happens. what to do?
tx for helping me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
and then when i try to boot it makes a loud beep and tells me the fan of the psu is not recongnised.

Not possible. The power supply fan is regulated by thermal circuitry inside the psu itself, it's totally enclosed, there's no external influence. The psu fan is in no way connected to anything outside of its case.

The warning error was about the CPU cooler fan, not the psu cooler fan. Totally different.

Check the wire from where the cpu fan plugs in.

Solution

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
are you certain?
ventilateur du module d'alimentation
it means fan from the module that feeds in energy. it sound like the psu to me..
also when the prob is there the psu fan is a jet motor. but when i plug the ssd no message and the psu runs smootly...
why would it be bad plugging if it works ok with ssd
Are you good in english comprehension ? i can partly understand but maybe it is here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ted-F1-boot-but-fan-running-fine/td-p/6697971
they talk about frist time and bios and fan still running but loud can you se

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Quite certain. There's only a few psus made for pc's that actually have a monitor wire for data, namely the Corsair 'i' series like RMi or HXi etc. Those can read fan speeds. All other psus are only power outputs to components. Your bios doesn't even contain any way to recognise psu fan speeds, only cpu and case fans which are connected directly to the motherboard. Out of all those, there's only 1 fan header that has a security feature where if the rpm of the fan detected is too low, you get the error. That's the cpu_fan header which is almost always connected to the fan that sits on top of the cpu socket.

You have a 12VO (12v Only) psu, so on your motherboard is 2 circuits for power, a 5v and 3.3v rail. The 5v rail is used for USB and Sata storage devices. It's possible there's a tiny fan on a heatsink sitting on that chipset that's plugged into the motherboard on a non standard proprietary header.

One of your power supplies is 240 watt on the 12v rail.
The other is 264 max depending on 3.3 & 5 volt power draw. so they are close to equal in available 12v wattage.
Changing them will make little difference on the available 12v wattage.
your 350 watt power supply is more or less a 250 watt power supply. because on all newer (10 years or so) computers the 12v line powers almost everything.
The HP is better quality so you are better off running it.

hot weird is that depending of the pus 4 wire plug end i plug in the psu works fine or gives problems...!!
which end to use (i found 1 i need 2 more)
Now we're getting somewhere--definitely sounds like a bad power supply. I would replace it with the same existing one as these will be easy enough to find used and be genuine and fairly cheap. It should get you back and running quickly.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi i plugged all 2 hdd ans the ssd and the power supply and psu works well.

samir it seems to me you jump to conclusion
i might be that a wire was not pushed all the way or that indeed the hdd should be only placed in a specific power end.

what to do now ? i keep that stuff like that and cross my finger?

hi i plugged all 2 hdd ans the ssd and the power supply and psu works well.

samir it seems to me you jump to conclusion
i might be that a wire was not pushed all the way or that indeed the hdd should be only placed in a specific power end.

what to do now ? i keep that stuff like that and cross my finger?
I only work with what information I have. If I was in front of the system myself, I would have all the info I need to diagnose it in 5 minutes.

Glad you got it working, and if it works, just leave it alone and let it work.